The Italian Benitez...

I agree, it was just so boring. It was tense or more scary that we would concede but nothing to get excited about.

The set pieces had nothing in them. Apart from Tevez free kick we didn't do much.

Just pretty frustrated as a win today would have meant so much and it seemed that we were always happy with a draw.

BillyShears said:
He could spend the next 10 years here and he won't win the league...he may get lucky and get given it by default again...

He'll do well in the cup competitions he's arsed about. He'll make a meal of telling us how the mentality of the players is a problem, or that his first choice left back was injured and how that's so damn important to playing in his one dimensional style. But in the end, he'll just be the emperor's new clothes.

Not felt this sick since Stuart Pearce's last derby in charge at COMS...

way way too harsh

Listening to his radio interview after the match, it was clear that last season's 3 injury time defeats had a huge impact on the mentality of the team. Not really that surprising that we became increasingly jittery in the second half.

The players will probably see keeping a clean sheet against united (when did we last do that?) as a step forward after last year.

dctid said:
BillyShears said:
He could spend the next 10 years here and he won't win the league...he may get lucky and get given it by default again...

He'll do well in the cup competitions he's arsed about. He'll make a meal of telling us how the mentality of the players is a problem, or that his first choice left back was injured and how that's so damn important to playing in his one dimensional style. But in the end, he'll just be the emperor's new clothes.

Not felt this sick since Stuart Pearce's last derby in charge at COMS...

way way too harsh

Possibly....I always rated Benitez, and as much as it pains other people to accept it, I rate Mancini too. He's not a shit manager by any stretch of the imagination. He may one day develop into a Mourinho, Wenger, or Ancelotti...but right now, he isn't. And this City should demand the best. Unless our exacting standards only extend to the playing squad...

Mattyc55 said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
Sorry. but that was shite. I appreciate the nil of it all and the tactical battle (we have them every week now) but one day we are gonna have to come out and tell people why we think we are in with a shot.

I agree, and I think City fans downtalk this team far too much. We have more than enough to beat United.
Yes. We have a team of BRILLIANT players. Why not play?

cibaman said:
Listening to his radio interview after the match, it was clear that last season's 3 injury time defeats had a huge impact on the mentality of the team. Not really that surprising that we became increasingly jittery in the second half.

Exactly and he's correct too. Everyone loves a derby win but a defeat was unthinkable. He was negative tonight to be positive for the season but idiots won't see that!

posted this in the other thread;

You could well be right. I've never been convinced he is well qualified to turn us into world beaters, but there is a lot of work that has to come before that. I believe his experience and pragmatic nature makes him highly suitable for that.

I know not everyone sees it this way, but I think nailed on steady progress for the next two years is exactly what we need. Comfortable fourth this year, look to pick off Utd or Arsenal. Next year, go all out at Chelsea, at least run them close, and get through the CL group stages. Just as importantly, lose the 'agent's paradise' / soft-centred / perennial-joke-club tags. He'll get his top four comfortably, I've no doubt at all. The likelyhood of a very proper challenge next year will only become clear over the course of this season.

He'll never, ever be 'popular', he never was at Inter... but I do think he'll leave us in a hell of a fitter state. When a club comes into money, the Kevin Keegan 'idealist-populist' type of manager often has more short term success, but once it falters, it's not just that they can't pay the bills, the make up of the playing staff is revealed to be fucked up, the mentality goes south because they don't have anything to fall back on... it was all 'belief' and form, and the underlying 'belief' disappears with the form, meaning the club ends up punching far below their weight. With Mancini, I never, ever feel we are going falter that badly, we're never going to go six without a win, or drop into the bottom half of the table for a couple of months. I admit however, I never feel we are reaching our absolute full potential. It's a trade off - risk/reward/security.

Mancini's nil-nil's, the clean sheets, are something we can always fall back on, even if he left, they'd still believe that they could do it against anyone. And if they can keep a clean sheet against anyone, with the forwards we have, beating most teams should come naturally.

It's an extremely reliable method, very 'professional', if sometimes rather underwhelming. Having a reputation, the culture of being a 'professional' outfit, is a good basis for the next guy to build on, if it turns out that Mancini can't get us to reach the absolute heights.

jay_mcfc said:
cibaman said:

Exactly and he's correct too. Everyone loves a derby win but a defeat was unthinkable. He was negative tonight to be positive for the season but idiots won't see that!
So shall I stick my cash on a hard earned draw at OT already then?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.