The Junior Blues.....

I remember my silk scarf and sitting in the Junior Blues section in the Platt Lane in the mid/late 70's, even had trials. Them were the days

This thread brought back a few memories. I am almost sure the junior blues branches ran all the kids football leagues in the (cheadle / stockport) area, or am I remembering that wrong. Certainly played a fair few 5 a side competitions on the AstroTurf at the platt lane training complex.

I'm sure @Gary James can fill in here, but I think it was either Chris Muir or Ian Niven
Lots of people claim it but the people who did the most work rarely get the acclaim. The key people behind making it happen were Roger Reade and Jessie Ward. A guy called Richard Sutton was also influential in the early days. The people who typically claimed it was their idea were Bill Adams, Tony Miles, Chris Muir, Ian Niven, Francis Lee, Peter Swales and so it goes on.

I tried to get a definitive answer in 2002 and trawled around asking for "Farewell To Maine Road". People often said suchabody will say 'it was my idea, but he wasn't even here then!' and other comments like that. I ultimately found an interview with Harry Godwin from 1984. Harry, like Roger & Jessie, worked hard helping to make the Junior Blues a success and he said: "It was formed following an idea by a man in the north-east - Albert Howell.... Albert suggested 'The Young Citizens' club. I took the letter into the general office and we had a little meeting. Johnny Hart was involved as well. It started in a very simple way.'

Ultimately, the idea blossomed but needed support from the directors and Ian Niven did become the prime director involved from the start. Francis Lee bought into the idea and he was the first president. It was formed in 1973 and Roger Reade was appointed secretary of it in 1974.

If you want to know more on this or anything else you'll probably find it in my book Farewell To Maine Road. Cheers

Lots of people claim it but the people who did the most work rarely get the acclaim. The key people behind making it happen were Roger Reade and Jessie Ward. A guy called Richard Sutton was also influential in the early days. The people who typically claimed it was their idea were Bill Adams, Tony Miles, Chris Muir, Ian Niven, Francis Lee, Peter Swales and so it goes on.

I tried to get a definitive answer in 2002 and trawled around asking for "Farewell To Maine Road". People often said suchabody will say 'it was my idea, but he wasn't even here then!' and other comments like that. I ultimately found an interview with Harry Godwin from 1984. Harry, like Roger & Jessie, worked hard helping to make the Junior Blues a success and he said: "It was formed following an idea by a man in the north-east - Albert Howell.... Albert suggested 'The Young Citizens' club. I took the letter into the general office and we had a little meeting. Johnny Hart was involved as well. It started in a very simple way.'

Ultimately, the idea blossomed but needed support from the directors and Ian Niven did become the prime director involved from the start. Francis Lee bought into the idea and he was the first president. It was formed in 1973 and Roger Reade was appointed secretary of it in 1974.

If you want to know more on this or anything else you'll probably find it in my book Farewell To Maine Road. Cheers

Thanks Gary
Interesting stuff.
Funny you mention Harry Goodwin - my first Junior Blues meeting was after the postponed Villa home game I'm guessing 1977 or 78 as I was either 14 or 15.
Living in Coventry at the time, my birthday present was a train ticket to Manchester, a weekend with my aunt in Timperley and a trip to the game. It was snowing like mad and having to change at Crewe and then the delayed train into town being further delayed, arrived at Piccadilly at 3.20pm and the Villa fans were making their way back on the train I got off!
So the next day I go to the Junior Blues meeting in the Social Club and got to ask Swales a question via the microphone. I asked if there was a way games could be called off earlier to avoid away fans and home fans who travel from having wasted journeys. He didn't answer the question, but said I deserved a round of applause for travelling from Cov.... and went on about how great City fans are blah blah.....
Next thing after the next question was asked, Harry Goodwin comes over and gives me a signed large round badge of himself, saying 'best wishes Harry Goodwin'' or it could have said ''Uncle Harry''. I kept it, until 6 years ago, when I emigrated and like other memorabilia that had no monetary value, but sentimental value, it ended up in Newton Heath tip. He also took my address and promised me two tickets for a future game, which he sent (Wolves, I think) but I couldn't go....
Happy days :)

I lived too far away to take advantage of the player meetings, but I loved being a part of it. I still have a birthday card 'signed' by Paul Lake, and a few badges lying around. This thread has encouraged me to have a dig later and see what I can find.

And the junior blues section down in the bottom left of the Platt Lane Stand... coincidentally where it most frequently used to kick off with away fans who had ventured into the home ends.

I used to go to the meetings at the old Ferranti Sports and Social Club on Hollinwood Avenue. Long gone now, as is Ferranti's. Its now a Morrisons. Remember seeing my boyhood hero, Dennis Tueart, there... and pleading with him not to leave to join NY Cosmos

I played for the JB's (Stockport branch) in the 70's - trying track down anyone else who did who might have any photos etc - just to prove to my son .
I went for the trials in my Scottish kit with number 10 on the back ( Asa Hartford was my fav player!) and after I got in the team all the players called me Asa !! Happy days .. - I'm sure the captain was called Johnny and maybe the manager had a tash!

There was a mini five a side comp at Plymouth grove about 74/75 under 16s which we won , adults was won by Middleton branch still got the picture from the evening news.

Had a good long chat with Ian Niven once,he was a major supporter of the Junior Blues in its infancy,
he did say Malcolm Allison wanted to see more City shirts around Manchester and was well on board with starting this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.