The Kompany, Silva and Aguero Statues

It's about what Silva, Kompany and Aguero signify.

They are the players that made us believe. Sure, we could sign a Haaland and he could score 250+, Dias could captain us to trophies and we could have another magician playing between the lines. But they'll never be Kun, Kompany or Silva. They won't mark the era of dominance we've had or what the success has meant to so many Blues. It goes beyond merely their ability, they came to us when we weren't a top team and stayed with us when being at City wasn't as attractive as some of the established elite clubs.

surely that applies to zaba aswell?
If haaland or say foden win us the champions league and multiple leagues and stay with us for ten years, surely they would get one as well then. Foden was at city before the money aswell

and you say we weren’t a top side - we weren’t exactly rubbish. We were top half of the league

based on what you’ve suggested then surely someone like trautman should have one. This is the difficulty with making statues for players. We have loads of players who deserve one

Last edited:
If haaland or say foden win us the champions league and multiple leagues and stay with us for ten years, surely they would get one as well then. Foden was at city before the money aswell

and you say we weren’t a top side - we weren’t exactly rubbish. We were top half of the league

based on what you’ve suggested then surely someone like trautman should have one. This is the difficulty with making statues for players. We have loads of players who deserve one

Zaba wasn't on the level of the other 3. As much as we love him, he wasn't an era defining player.

And sure Foden and Haaland could win all that and become legends. But they wouldn't be the ones who marked the new era and marked our rise from midtable to the truly elite. It's the significance of Aguero, Kompany and Silva in pioneering us to unimaginable heights.

There is a case to be had that we could do more for the legends that come before them. But Trautmann has a statue at the Etihad and we have an entire stand named after Colin Bell. So I think we've done an okay job in that respect.

Agree Kaz, but is the sculptor still alIve?
Personally, I prefer the ""Champions Walk" idea from @Gary James
EDIT. D'oh. Just realized which "Sir Tom " you were referring to. I first thought you meant Finney of that ilk. His statue is brilliant.
Ha yeah tom moore, the one who did it did a really good job, whoever does it i am sure will be vetted and they will be good

Bert does have one

Zaba wasn't on the level of the other 3. As much as we love him, he wasn't an era defining player.

And sure Foden and Haaland could win all that and become legends. But they wouldn't be the ones who marked the new era and marked our rise from midtable to the truly elite. It's the significance of Aguero, Kompany and Silva in pioneering us to unimaginable heights.

There is a case to be had that we could do more for the legends that come before them. But Trautmann has a statue at the Etihad and we have an entire stand named after Colin Bell. So I think we've done an okay job in that respect.
If foden or someone like that plays for us for ten years, is integral and wins the champions league, I can’t see why he wouldn’t have one. I get what you are saying, but we will 100% have era defining legends going forward.

the statue for trautman is completely hidden from most people. If there was a list of people who should have a statue/ in front of the stadium he would be above those players for me. Just my personal opinion though. You could argue other players from the past who were era defining deserve one as well - sumerbee 100%

Not keen on the idea of celebrations for the statues, prefer something old school, foot on the ball, arms crossed, or arms aloft. Like the idea of silva’s being just as he makes contact with the ball before kicking it up in the air before the dzeko assist.

These football banter fans are so tiresome. It’s entirely up to City who they want to build a statue of, they shouldn’t have to justify it to anyone, but it does make me laugh Liverpool fans crying about it when they have a statue of Bill Shankly, who had a trophy haul half the size of Sergio’s (yet a great nevertheless). The same applies for United’s “Holy Trinity” and Thierry Henry.
Does any player that has won more than Sergio have a statue?

You could argue other players from the past who were era defining deserve one as well - sumerbee 100%

As I've said before; in my humble opinion, the only former player genuinely deserving of 'legend status' commemoration outside the ground is Tony Book - Player, skipper, coach, manager, ambassador. He's been City through and through since the first day he stepped onto the Maine Road pitch in a sky blue shirt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.