The Labour Government

I am not saying any of that at all. I am saying that according to Labours own figures this policy will raise £1.7b. Sounds all fine and dandy until you realise that possibly 65% or more of that money will be lost and whilst 6,500 teachers might be hired that’s one teacher for every five schools. It’s not going to touch the sides. Education standards definitely need to be improved, not sure this is the best way of doing it.
Even if the figures are right it still brings in money. The country is in a mess my priorities aren't the wealthy and their angst over their kids getting an advantage over everyone else's

That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.
If you look at it in terms of cost and revenue it will become clear how effective this change is over the next year or two. Personally I think it will be far less than 20% that will switch to the state sector but that won’t be known for some time.

However it should be looked at as removing a tax break for purchasers of a premium item which seems perfectly logical to do, and it seems bizarre that it was ever in place in the first place.

If you look at it in terms of cost and revenue it will become clear how effective this change is over the next year or two. Personally I think it will be far less than 20% that will switch to the state sector but that won’t be known for some time.

However it should be looked at as removing a tax break for purchasers of a premium item which seems perfectly logical to do, and it seems bizarre that it was ever in place in the first place.

Not that bizarre. Institutions are often captured by special interest groups.

It was wrong, but it's all part of the circle of political life that some upper class and upper middle class people find a way to give themselves a leg up at the expense of the wider public and don't have any qualms about doing so.

That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.
By any objective measure, it’s a professional fee. It should therefore be subject to VAT.

Time to introduce caps on rent, like there are caps on energy prices. Rents are becoming ridiculous. Should also be caps on food prices since supermarkets will never lower then to how they were before the crisis out of the goodness of their own hearts.

Time to introduce caps on rent, like there are caps on energy prices. Rents are becoming ridiculous. Should also be caps on food prices since supermarkets will never lower then to how they were before the crisis out of the goodness of their own hearts.

Ask all the unemployed builders in Scotland how rental caps are working because no one wants to
Invest there anymore.

I would charge the private school wankers a lot more.
Maybe they can follow Cameron's advice and sell off some ground or maybe a couple of buildings for social housing.

Private school wankers? You mean my son?

Politics of envy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.