The Labour Government

Lawyers and doctors struggling to finance the cost of privately educating their kids.
Wait a minute, what’s that I can hear?
View attachment 125634
That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.

That’s the point though, it’s not these people that will be disadvantaged, it will be hard working parents who sacrifice everything to give their kids a private education. At MGS around 200 boys receive a full or partial bursary so not exactly families full of doctors and lawyers. Potentially the VAT increase may now mean these kids don’t have the chance for private education. As I have said earlier because many kids will leave and join the private sector the actual amount raised isn’t huge and only one in five schools will receive one extra teacher.
If you believe that these small number of children will be disadvantaged by going to state schools then you are saying private school kids currently receive a huge head start over the vast majority of kids in this country.
If you think kids should get ahead in life based on the depth of their parents pockets then I'm not gonna go for it tbh.

Maybe they could use the money saved on part time tutors to supplement their free education and stand on the head of other kids that way?

If you believe that these small number of children will be disadvantaged by going to state schools then you are saying private school kids currently receive a huge head start over the vast majority of kids in this country.
If you think kids should get ahead in life based on the depth of their parents pockets then I'm not gonna go for it tbh.

Maybe they could use the money saved on part time tutors to supplement their free education and stand on the head of other kids that way?
I am not saying any of that at all. I am saying that according to Labours own figures this policy will raise £1.7b. Sounds all fine and dandy until you realise that possibly 65% or more of that money will be lost and whilst 6,500 teachers might be hired that’s one teacher for every five schools. It’s not going to touch the sides. Education standards definitely need to be improved, not sure this is the best way of doing it.

It's an interesting policy as the headline figure of 6,500 teachers sounds impressive until you are told that there are over 32k schools in the UK. So roughly 1 in 5 schools will receive one additional teacher and whilst it is a start it's like pissing in the wind. The other issue is of course that the stats show that maybe 20% of pupils who are currently at private schools will move to state schools so around 100 - 120k pupils. Each pupil costs just under £8k per annum so whilst the policy will raise some money, according to Labour's own figures 65% will be lost, whilst according to the Tories the figure will be 123% meaning the policy will cost the country money as opposed to raising it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Paying for extra teachers will be easier than retaining them under the current system. The workload caused by endless bureaucracy and ofsted is making many leave the profession early. This needs addressing quickly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.