The Labour Government

But in many cases it is true. It's just a question of how you prioritise your life. Some people scrimp and save to give their kids a better education, others spend it on a hire purchase for flash cars, clothes etc. They may also receive help from grandparents etc. Private school isn't just for wealthy upper class people.

What combined salary are these working class families on that pay for children to be privately educated?

God knows, you did Physics, Chemistry and Biology all as separate subjects when I was at school. Only the, how can I put it… less able did combined sciences.

Yep in the 2000s we learnt them all separate but the GCSE was called a double award and was worth 2 and combined all the science subjects. No idea if it is the same now.

Rich people could always set up a charity to pay the school fees of poor boys and girls.

A bit like Humphrey Chetham did in Manchester, but I hope they set the rules a bit more firmly so the original aims of the charity can't be subverted.

After all, anyone on 40% or more tax could get a tax refund on their contributions.

If they're actually that arsed, this would be a good plan. Newsflash - they aren't.

What combined salary are these working class families on that pay for children to be privately educated?
I have no idea. Is there a salary at which you stop being working class. Is a footballer playing for Salford on £500 a week and his wife who is a cleaner classed as working class?

Comparisons with GCSE​

Before changes to GCSE first taken in 2017, the IGCSE was often considered to be more similar to the older O-Levels qualification than the current GCSE in England, and for this reason was often argued to be a more rigorous and more difficult examination.[10] Before the early 2010s, most schools offering the IGCSE were private international schools for expatriate children around the world. However, in the 2010s, an increasing number of independent schools within the United Kingdom also began offering IGCSEs as an alternative to conventional English GCSEs for international IGCSE subjects, on the supposed basis that it is more challenging than the national curriculum.[11] A comparison between GCSEs and IGCSEs was conducted by the Department of Education in 2019. The study found that it was easier to achieve a grade A in English Language and English Literature in IGCSEs but harder to achieve a grade A in science subjects. Most other subjects were roughly equivalent.[12]

Thanks for sharing that. The DoE study doesn’t arrive at that conclusion - you could use it to support such a hypothesis equally you could use it to say there is no difference, too many variables to draw a definitive conclusion.

What you can observe, more interestingly for me, is that the ability of students who go on to do A levels is not noticeably different between those who went to state school and those who went privately - which is testimony to the underlying quality of our state education system.

I have no idea. Is there a salary at which you stop being working class. Is a footballer playing for Salford on £500 a week and his wife who is a cleaner classed as working class?

So Cheadle Hulme high school costs £75k for 5 years senior not including 6th form. You're going to tell me working class families are paying that? There is a big difference from having a working class background and being working class. Want to live like common people.

Rich people could always set up a charity to pay the school fees of poor boys and girls.

A bit like Humphrey Chetham did in Manchester, but I hope they set the rules a bit more firmly so the original aims of the charity can't be subverted.

After all, anyone on 40% or more tax could get a tax refund on their contributions.

If they're actually that arsed, this would be a good plan. Newsflash - they aren't.
A nation that needs charities is a failed one on a social scale imho.

how can any government say they cannot prioratise savimg the children, helpimg the aged or have proper mental health or social care, so much that charoties need to be formed.

The gerogian/victoriann idea of rich benevolance is outdated, if someome is wealthy enough to set up a charity they are wealthy enough to pay their fair share in
tax so such things are not necessary

So Cheadle Hulme high school costs £75k for 5 years senior not including 6th form. You're going to tell me working class families are paying that? There is a big difference from having a working class background and being working class. Want to live like common people.
That’s £12K a year. A lot of people spend that on cars holidays and clothes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.