The Labour Government

Being a (predominantly) Conservative voter all of my life, I now feel myself lauding some of Mr Starmers policies on the employment front, albeit imo not going far enough to bridge the equilibrium of injustice in equal measure.

Breaks my heart to see an 18 year old or a 21 year old adult not receiving the same minimum wage levels as that of a 25 year old.

How and why is this archaic process still allowed to flourish in a party that is supposed to represent the the welfares of the working class?

Saying you are tackling the pay of our younger workforce is not the same as redressing the balance of inequality. You really are not helping if your not actually helping.

You see this all the time with these "not for profit (no really)" institutions. They basically make huge profits, but they're not allowed to technically make a profit, so they consistently spend the excess on assets rather than actually helping anyone. That's why you have universities in America where lecturers struggle to get a decent-paying full-time job, but their food hall looks like a 5 star hotel buffet, they have a new multi-billion dollar wing on the engineering department, and a stadium that wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League. It's why churches are frequently among the biggest property-owners in the US.

Plenty of private schools are the same. We could fund an extra 100 poorer children for five years, or we could upgrade the rowing lake. Because let's be honest, if they really did operate a system of, for example, 50% of students being from troubled, underprivileged backgrounds who struggled in the state system, a good chunk of their paying customers would leave, because the whole reason they're paying in the first place is to get their kids away from kids like this.
Quietest job in the world: SENDCo at MGS.

Being a (predominantly) Conservative voter all of my life, I now feel myself lauding some of Mr Starmers policies on the employment front, albeit imo not going far enough to bridge the equilibrium of injustice in equal measure.

Breaks my heart to see an 18 year old or a 21 year old adult not receiving the same minimum wage levels as that of a 25 year old.

How and why is this archaic process still allowed to flourish in a party that is supposed to represent the the welfares of the working class?

Saying you are tackling the pay of our younger workforce is not the same as redressing the balance of inequality. You really are not helping if your not actually helping.
They should be asked tirelessly on this: “Does a loaf of bread cost less when you’re an 18 year old?”

It’s disingenuous to compare a 15 year increase (20%) with an overnight increase. If the government proposed brining this in 2% per year over next decade it would be comparable.

I believe it’s likely to be about a net 15% increase and I anticipate, if it becomes law, schools will look to phase it in rather than in 1 hit. However I expect it to be met with some fairly robust legal challenges. SEND students who receive EHCP will be exempt from the VAT, those who don’t will not - that sounds potentially discriminatory to me - that would be my first port of call if I had a dog in this fight. I’m sure there are a few legal types who do send their kids to private schools who will happily take up the cause.
If they have an EHCP the LA pay all the costs.

It’s disingenuous to compare a 15 year increase (20%) with an overnight increase. If the government proposed brining this in 2% per year over next decade it would be comparable.

I believe it’s likely to be about a net 15% increase and I anticipate, if it becomes law, schools will look to phase it in rather than in 1 hit. However I expect it to be met with some fairly robust legal challenges. SEND students who receive EHCP will be exempt from the VAT, those who don’t will not - that sounds potentially discriminatory to me - that would be my first port of call if I had a dog in this fight. I’m sure there are a few legal types who do send their kids to private schools who will happily take up the cause.

That’s missing the point though. If we’re talking about people that are struggling to pay the fees, then plenty have already been priced out due to the increases the private schools have put on themselves, which also led to a lot of their closures. Some people will be priced out of it like I said, plenty won’t.

I’m not averse to a phased implementation of it but that’s to help a small proportion of the consumers of the sector. Although I’d rather see that happen if it could, if it was a choice of implementing it or not at all due to the impact on those, then I’d still want to see it implemented.

I highly doubt any legal challenge will work, it would be for performative reasons more than anything.

It's not discriminatory. Independent special schools can cost over a hundredbthousand pounds a year. If it's discrimination then it's discrimination to pay for these kids to attend those placements have their needs met. But it isn't.

I doubt there are many children with EHCPs in mainstream independent schools. If they are they aren't likely to have high needs or they might have milder learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

Suck it up and stop acting so entitled.

You remind me of Big Tobacco complaining of copyright infringement before their branding was removed. You're flogging a dead horse and you'll lose.

They tend to pay VAT on those different things, though.
Same as everyone really, not sure I see your point. VAT on private & fee paying schools will bring the treasury an estimate on £1.7 billion. Not sure that will amount to much by the time children have had to transfer to state schools. Just feels like a very petty policy just to quieten the left.

Reactions: PPT

It does allow the younger ones with no experience to get on the job ladder. Otherwise businesses would just go for the older more experienced people every time.
I do agree it is scandalous and the pay should be the same. But that is the reason given.

Same as everyone really, not sure I see your point. VAT on private & fee paying schools will bring the treasury an estimate on £1.7 billion. Not sure that will amount to much by the time children have had to transfer to state schools. Just feels like a very petty policy just to quieten the left.
Exactly, it’s the same for everyone now. We all have to pay VAT on luxury items.

Time will tell how many children will return to the state system.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.