The Labour Government

I don't understand the last bit. But clearly the tunnel under south Manchester would be closer to capacity with HS2 trains from London (going on to Leeds) and from Liverpool rather than just trains from Liverpool.

The other problem is that faster trains mean some commuters live further away from where they work, where housing is cheaper, so they don't save any time.
Can't remember the full quote from Vegetius but on the lines of -
"Everybody hurrying from one place just to wait at another"

Know your place, you'll get what you're given. He really is a ****.
Or an attempt to stop the members doing what the Tory membership did twice? I was part of an unaffiliated union. We worked for the members and never once did I have a member ask why we weren't affiliated to Labour. There's really no point having a leader that the MPs don't want-think Truss and Sunak.

I think Sue Gray might find herself in a spot of bother before long if she doesn’t sort things out. The cronyism stories doing the rounds all seem to lead back to her.

Reeves giving Ian Corfield a job in the treasury - by passing normal process - is apparently down to Gray refusing him as an advisor to Reeves. He’s since stepped down from his paid role.

Waheed Alli having an all areas pass to number 10 is reportedly down to Gray whom he shares a close relationship. He also made a large donation to her son, Liam Conlon, the new Labour MP for Beckenham and Penge. Let’s hope that selection process was entirely above board.

Given the controversy surrounding her appointment I suppose no one should be entirely surprised. Still she’s giving Starmer a bit of a headache and he’s shown he can be ruthless.
You’re forgetting the 16k Starmer pocketed for his work clobber.

It is however entirely understandable how somebody can forget that given how poorly he dresses.

Or an attempt to stop the members doing what the Tory membership did twice? I was part of an unaffiliated union. We worked for the members and never once did I have a member ask why we weren't affiliated to Labour. There's really no point having a leader that the MPs don't want-think Truss and Sunak.

yeah best leave it to the members - thats how the Tories got Truss

This is what it is.

Have a go at Hilts. He's the one challenging the fact that most pensioners are not going to freeze without the winter fuel payment. Withdrawing the WFP is not collective punishment.

I'll be honest with you I am with Hilts TBH. The energy costs in mid 2022 were massively higher than they are going to be this winter way out weighing the £300 WFA. Thankfully we didn't suffer mass freezings to deaths - if the Govt helps people to claim what they are allowed to claim the country will scrape by - I know loads of pensioners who got it but who are far better off than me and my family and we got no help ffs.

In a political sense the WFA is there with the triple lock - something to appease the electorate who vote a certain way and to the detriment to those who in recent years have been seen to vote the "wrong" way or don't vote at all. Bottom line is that focusing so much help on a cohort that is diminishing - dying off and they are actively making membership of that "club" smaller by raising the pension age is a policy of reaping a harvest of diminishing returns. We need to look after the most needy and that includes 4m kids in poverty plus people who are starved of transport links to get to places of work - things like that lead to economic growth

The irony is the old dears that will suffer with the cold will very likely be Labour supporters in the inner cities.
How anyone can be willing to give them a kicking as punishment for the wealthier pensioners is disturbing tbh.
I agree it is wrong. There are a lot of pensioners who aren’t wealthy at all and are either struggling money wise or using the money they have on carers.

Cutting this payment will affect a lot of people who are just about managing and make them poorer, especially with energy bills expected to go up.

Feels like we are in a parallel universe where people are defending it. Of course wealthy pensioners don’t really need it, but this effects many more than that and appears pretty unpopular.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.