The Labour Government

Lest we forget:

(Last March):
After placing a 2p national insurance cut at the centre of Wednesday’s budget – funded through higher government borrowing, stealth tax rises and a squeeze on public spending to come after polling day – Sunak's chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, said the Tories’ ambition was to scrap the tax on workers entirely.

(£10bn a year, that 2p cut)
The NI cut is of no relevance whatsoever -zilch- to the question of whether the previous government misled on the likely profile of departmental expenditure this year and beyond.

Quite why you keep banging on about it is anyone’s guess.

It’s ironic that somebody who claims to be left wing continues to criticise a tax cut which by definition helps working people - low earners especially - while at the same time making excuses for a decision as crass as removing the WFA.

I presume 4m is four months.

OK - not "no waiting lists", but better than when Labour came to power in 1997, and are you really wanting to make a virtue of the Tories' doubling waiting times?

Earlier detection should mean easier treatment. I'm not sure why mental health issues should mean waiting lists for gynaecology should be 100% higher than 3 years ago.

"The NHS elective waiting list in England was already growing pre-pandemic, as growth in demand for care outstripped growth in the service’s ability to provide it. The waiting list doubled in a decade from 2.3 million ‘incomplete pathways’ (where the patient has been referred but is waiting for treatment) in January 2010 to 4.6 million in December 2019. Waiting times also increased over this period, particularly the longest waits. The median waiting times for an inpatient treatment increased slightly from 9.2weeks in January 2010 to 9.6 weeks in December 2019, while the 95th percentile waiting time for an inpatient treatment increased from 23 weeks to 38 weeks over the same period."

I’m not making virtue at all, it’s a damning indictment of just how poor the last government managed health and social care. I’m just pointing out what you stated was factually incorrect and that as with all figures there is some nuance behind the cold hard numbers.

Your in-laws can't retire on a state pension until they are 67 either can they? FWIW I agree that benefits like the fuel allowance should be means tested.
They've both just turned 80 so had the state pension for 15 and 20 years respectively.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.