The Labour Government

Remember the good old days when Boris was in charge, seems like a lifetime away now these fucking pricks have got power

Now I think you're just being silly.

I criticise a tax cut that was a desperate, cynical last throw by a defunct and dying government, knowing that it would have to be funded by "government borrowing, stealth tax rises and a squeeze on public spending to come after polling day".

If you're suggesting that helping the working poor with a tax cut rather than maintaining a benefit for pensioners, most of whom are not poor, is a good proposal, that's the sort of choice to be made. But don't then blame the new government for having to raise other taxes or cut spending to pay for that tax cut.

I'll cut you some slack as Tory pain is obviously real.
The Labour government didn’t have to remove the WFA, it was entirely their choice to do so.

The fiscal rules did not dictate the decision: numerous options were available to them, but they made the political decision to remove it, just as they chose to roll over for the unions.

Your insight on the issue is to suggest that pensioners go to the library to keep warm. Enough said.

Now I think you're just being silly.

I criticise a tax cut that was a desperate, cynical last throw by a defunct and dying government, knowing that it would have to be funded by "government borrowing, stealth tax rises and a squeeze on public spending to come after polling day".

If you're suggesting that helping the working poor with a tax cut rather than maintaining a benefit for pensioners, most of whom are not poor, is a good proposal, that's the sort of choice to be made. But don't then blame the new government for having to raise other taxes or cut spending to pay for that tax cut.

I'll cut you some slack as Tory pain is obviously real.
Both NI cuts should be reversed, that is the correct answer, 10.3Bn saved as a result per year, and if it was me I'd change the income tax bands to align with Scotland, which for reference is shown below. Do that, no fiscal black hole and money left over without tinkering around the edges.

1000006191.png

What I think is irritating a lot of people, including myself is that rather than calling it out and saying to people in a grown up way that the NI cuts would be reversed in order to maintain/improve public services, they fought a campaign on going along with the Tories of no tax rises, which was clearly wrong. It was visible to everyone even without access to the figures that more investment was needed and that it wasn't happening.

The Labour government didn’t have to remove the WFA, it was entirely their choice to do so.

The fiscal rules did not dictate the decision: numerous options were available to them, but they made the political decision to remove it, just as they chose to roll over for the unions.

Your insight on the issue is to suggest that pensioners go to the library to keep warm. Enough said.
I think I was bemoaning the fact that pensioners can't go to the library to keep warm because the library is a victim of Tory cuts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.