The Labour Government

What the liberal left also said is that selling off public services, assets and council houses for a quick buck to a load of rich companies will lead to massive problems over cost control problems in the future. Well guess what, we're now in the future and we've got massive cost control problems. The issue is how the hell can you correct these past terrible self-infliction wounds when you haven't got a pot to piss in is almost impossible. It's going to take decades to fix
Do tell me more about how much more efficiently and effectively things are run when under public sector control.

Literally just a drop in the ocean in terms of local government waste, incompetence and inefficiency but I think you get my point...

1725531485917.png

Do tell me more about how much more efficiently and effectively things are run when under public sector control.

Literally just a drop in the ocean in terms of local government waste, incompetence and inefficiency but I think you get my point...

View attachment 130885

Did you know that most mergers aren't successful?

So why do big companies still persist with it?

Seems wasteful.

Why are you using an example of a privately owned company leasing a depot to a council?

It’s not happening. People riot when someone looks a bit Muslim commits a crime.

I’ve no idea how to stop people demonising an entire religion. If I did, I would.

As you suggest, the outcome is going to be based on the attitude of the individual. As it currently stands, we’re closer to civil war than Sharia Law due to peoples’ misconceptions, prejudices, ignorance and intolerance.

I see no one has interacted with Zen’s posts. That doesn’t surprise me.

Which one? The only one I read was pretty straightforward and didn't conflict with my posts at all .

Did you know that most mergers aren't successful?

So why do big companies still persist with it?

Seems wasteful.

Why are you using an example of a privately owned company leasing a depot to a council?
It was the council that identified the building as required for their needs and signed off on the very long lease.

I hope that explains it and clears up your confusion.

Which one? The only one I read was pretty straightforward and didn't conflict with my posts at all .
There were two together, the second of which broke down how it’s not even Sharia law being practised here.

Anyway, the whole thing is moot to me. I’ve spent enough time saying the same things. It won’t come in. The radicalised anti-Muslims will see to that, with or without civil war. If it is war, I won’t be involved in it anyway.

It’s not happening. People riot when someone looks a bit Muslim commits a crime.

I’ve no idea how to stop people demonising an entire religion. If I did, I would.

As you suggest, the outcome is going to be based on the attitude of the individual. As it currently stands, we’re closer to civil war than Sharia Law due to peoples’ misconceptions, prejudices, ignorance and intolerance.

I see no one has interacted with Zen’s posts. That doesn’t surprise me.
No point going round in circles with you posting what the future uk won't look like and me saying you can't predict the future because well no one can.

If you give me the winning lottery numbers I will concede that you are indeed the New Doctor Who:-)

No point going round in circles with you posting what the future uk won't look like and me saying you can't predict the future because well no one can.

If you give me the winning lottery numbers I will concede that you are indeed the New Doctor Who:-)
Dull.

What the liberal left also said is that selling off public services, assets and council houses for a quick buck to a load of rich companies will lead to massive problems over cost control problems in the future. Well guess what, we're now in the future and we've got massive cost control problems. The issue is how the hell can you correct these past terrible self-infliction wounds when you haven't got a pot to piss in is almost impossible. It's going to take decades to fix
It depends whether you believe that privatisation is in itself the problem. I strongly suggest that it is not. When done right, it can work extremely well.

There is an argument is that there is an inherent conflict between the provision of a public service and at the same time, being a commercial organization with a profit motive. I think demonstrably, this view is wrong.

Do Marks & Spencer provide excellent customer service? Do Sainsbury's or Amazon? Do they want to generate profits? Yes, yes, yes, and YES. So why do they aim to provide good service even when doing so, costs them? It's because they know it is good for business. If they offer no quibble returns, you are more likely to buy from them again. if they hold loads of stock at huge costs, they know you are more likely to buy from them. If they do not do these things, they know customers will buy elsewhere.

They do strive to reduce costs and to be as efficient as possible... to maximise their profits. This is a GOOD THING. We want our public services run like that, to be efficient with their spending of our money. But private businesses know they cannot reduce costs to the extent that it damages the customer service, or they will lose business.

And therein lies the rub. "Or they will lose business".

The problem is too often, privatisation has been done wrong. If you allow a private company to maximise profits, at the expense of the quality or service it delivers, then cynically, many will do just that if they can get away with it. So you have to have a framework where they cannot get away with it. Ideally, you need proper competiion - so that consumers have a choice and will vote with their feet. Or, as a last resort alternative, you need a proper regulator with real teeth, that will demand high service levels or else inflict severe penalties. If you have neither, you are screwed.

Let's look at the telecomms market in the UK where we have proper competition and we can switch easily. We have multiple mobile phone operators and sim-only deal prices have fallen and fallen and fallen so you can now get an unlimited calls, unlimited texts plan for only a few pounds a month. This competition working well to deliver excellent service for all of us, and low costs.

Compare this to the train companies. You want a train from Bristol to London. There is no competition. And the regulator is incompetent, having allowed above inflation increases for 30 years. So now a train ticket costs an absolute fortune and the service and reliability is diabolical (not that it was any good under British Rail, but at least it was cheap then).

So where am I going with this? The point is that all of this is actually quite easily fixed. It does not need everything to be renationalised, which actually would not only cost everyone a fortune in taxes to pay for it, it would make things worse. Nationalised companies don't give a shit about effeciency since they don't give a shit about making profit. And they don't give a shit about service because its no skin off their nose if you go elsewhere, even if you can. And often you cannot of course. So they run shoddy operations with piss poor service. When did you last get a hospital appointment on a Sunday? But you can visit Sainsburys on a Sunday, right? Costs Sainsburys more to be open on a Sunday but they are. Hospitals? No, they don't give a shit.

All we need to do is to ensure that proper competition is established with people being easily able to switch provider. And if that is NOT possible, then we need to make sure the regulators do not allow poor performance, something they have far too often failed to do thus far. They have let companies get away with it for far too long.

Reactions: PPT
I'm sorry, but my experiences with 'Cross-Country Trains' (shit) have put me off privatised trains for life. Although BR had its faults, it was cheap to travel on, the trains were rarely packed and you could buy a ticket on the day of travel without taking out a personal loan. It also had far less subsidy than the present system enjoys.

Regulators simply do not work in this country. They might work in other countries, but here they might as well be scrapped for all the good they do.

My view of rail privatisation was this. If Richard Branson wanted to run trains between London and Manchester he could have spent a few billions reopening the Great Central route and we could have enjoyed the competition. What we had instead was a farce, where public monopolies (bad enough) were changed into private monopolies (far worse) at vastly increased cost to the mugs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.