The Labour Government

John Reynolds right? I heard him talking about Port Talbot this morning. By the sounds of it he is going to offer Tata more money but they are still going to convert the plant to Electric Arc Furnaces in the name of lower carbon emissions. Which is frankly crap. As then we will still import new steel from blast furnaces still operating on the continent and further afield.

Imo he needs to raise duties if possible on imported steel and give tax breaks on
UK steel production for use in the UK, similar to what the unite union lady wants and try and make the blast furnaces at Port Talbot viable. We import much more steel than we make and these proposed electric arc furnaces will only make that worse.

We import the ore anyway don’t we? And have a surplus of scrap steel that we end up exporting. There’s a middle ground somewhere there I think.

Still no workable alternative to immigration then, same as all the serious political parties never have either? I’ll leave it with you. Stiil you’ve rowed back a bit from reducing population so some progress.
Off course we did have a better system,we could go back to, but decided to scrap that.

Seriously we don't need more people we need to work smarter with the people we have, upward spirals and burst bubbles.

We are importing a Bristol sized lump of people each year, it's enough isn't it? When will it be enough? How many people is enough?

Target the people we need and bring them in, get the people here working and considering we have a larger workforce than ever now it shouldn't be too difficult.

In 25 years time when the people we bring are older how many should we bring in to look after them?

No, I have read it in couple of places. The media were reporting that people were leaving the UK and seeking asylum in the ROI. And the head of Border Force said it was having a deterrent affect.

Citation? You might be mistaken.

He wasn't the head of border force.

Kevin Saunders, a former chief immigration officer for Border Force, also expressed concern about the government scrapping the Rwanda plan.

This is the same bloke who went on GB News and suggested putting migrants on cruise ships and taking them back to their country of origin.

We evolve as we go along.

I’d love to create an area where the U.K. world lead, whether that’s green technology, AI, Drug R&D etc. It’d give us some pride and we could fund services better by selling what we make around the world.
That is not an answer, it's okay to put your hands up and say you know what I don't know. We need people now but it can't go on. People argue for road A or road B but sometimes they both lead off a cliff. The annoyance is when someone argues one road without accepting the end is not great.

Citation? You might be mistaken.

He wasn't the head of border force.

Kevin Saunders, a former chief immigration officer for Border Force, also expressed concern about the government scrapping the Rwanda plan.

This is the same bloke who went on GB News and suggested putting migrants on cruise ships and taking them back to their country of origin.

Several media outlets have been reporting this the past few weeks.

That is not an answer, it's okay to put your hands up and say you know what I don't know. We need people now but it can't go on. People argue for road A or road B but sometimes they both lead off a cliff. The annoyance is when someone argues one road without accepting the end is not great.
Well, it makes sense to me. We make more money as a country, allowing investment in infrastructure, services, housing etc and people are less angry because the U.K. is a better, more positive place to live again.

We’re not full as there is tons of space to expand into and convert from other uses too.

We’re in the position we are now because everything is crumbling due to a chronic lack of investment.

Migration is not going to stop at any point, so it’s better to embrace it and make the most of it, rather than isolating ourselves and get poorer and more unhappy.

Seriously we don't need more people we need to work smarter with the people we have, upward spirals and burst bubbles.

We are importing a Bristol sized lump of people each year, it's enough isn't it? When will it be enough? How many people is enough?

Target the people we need and bring them in, get the people here working and considering we have a larger workforce than ever now it shouldn't be too difficult.

In 25 years time when the people we bring are older how many should we bring in to look after them?
I agree target the people we need, most people agree with that, the most pressing need today is social care and the NHS. I don’t know what numbers are enough to get the country moving again anymore than you do. Throwing stuff like the population of Bristol in is meaningless.
My solution would be rejoin the single market and return freedom of movement. Politicians are too scared to do that though, or at least tory and labour ones are.

There is no mask - she is an embarrassment
I've know Angela for a number of years, well before she was an MP anyway. Same with her ex-husband. I'm not sure what it is about ordinary, working class people that upsets you and your like so much, but there are many more people out there who think her rise from hardship has been inspirational.
This may come as a surprise to you, but you don't need to have a plummy voice to be a politician any more than you need a university degree. In fact, no qualifications are required at all to be an MP or even PM. And as Boris Johnson's tenure would testify, a second in unrelated Classics is, well, pointless.
Perhaps you live in an age inside your head where Britain is still run by men in bowler hats like my boss at the MoD (although that was 37 years ago!) or top hats like Rees-Mogg, and BBC broadcasters wear dinner jacket to read the news out on the wireless.
Maybe you can't - or won't - drag yourself into the 21st Century where everyone can have a place regardless of creed, colour, religion or gender.
And yes, that would include working class people too. Surely something we should celebrate rather than denigrate?
With every passing day now, the nightmare of 14 years of hopeless, hateful and chaotic Tory rule will get more and more distant in the wing mirrors of everyday life - a bit like United and Liverpool have done, although - unlike the Tories - they do still have a few greatest hits to fall back on!

Last edited:
I agree target the people we need, most people agree with that, the most pressing need today is social care and the NHS. I don’t know what numbers are enough to get the country moving again anymore than you do. Throwing stuff like the population of Bristol in is meaningless.
My solution would be rejoin the single market and return freedom of movement. Politicians are too scared to do that though, or at least tory and labour ones are.

Finally a poster with a thought about how to go about something where a problem exists. I may not agree with your solution but thanks for having one and for offering a reasoned way forward.

Takes a bit to do that on here, appreciate your insight mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.