The Labour Government

I'm not defending it, I just think in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the ocean compared to what has happened to pensioner wellbeing over many years. It's as though pensioners shouldn't care about their health, wellbeing and social care being taken away but god forbid you ever take away that £300. Yeah Labour have done it but the Tories did far worse and so we now have a Labour government, let's see where the next 5 years takes us?

Labour should be criticised but they should also be given time. We're talking about a winter benefit that is payable in winter, it's barely autumn and it's sunny and 20°c out, it won't become an issue for months and there may yet be a remedy. I don't believe that Labour will just decide to permanently degrade pensioner benefits and see them become worse than the Tories.

Labour are working in a difficult inherited fiscal climate and a governmental system built around 15 years of Tory policy. I'll reserve my judgement and things do often get worse before they get better. Were you one of those calling for Pep's head after 2 months?
Yeah sure, it's all headed in the right direction alright.

1726655356959.png

Yeah sure, it's all headed in the right direction alright.

View attachment 132140
If anything all this should teach you is that every single politician is a pillock and you just need to sort between the various flavours but you'll still get a pillock. I'd do away with the entire lot of them if that was a choice.

I more subscribe to the apathy party which actually by voting numbers would nearly outvote every party put together.

If anything all that this should teach you is that every single politician is a pillock and you just need to sort between the various flavours but you'll still get a pillock. I'd do away with the entire lot of them if that was a choice.

I more subscribe to the apathy party which actually by voting numbers would nearly outvote every party put together.
I tend to agree with you.

However, I think probably the majority of MPs on both sides are decent, fair-minded, hard working people who genuinely went into politics to try to make things better. My guess 500+ at least fall into that category.

The problem is that to get anywhere up the greasy pole, you have to throw away your principles and try to defend indefensible bollocks or else you will never get a look in for promotion ever again. There's hardly any free votes in the commons and MPs are expected to obey the whips or else.

Perhaps an good improvement to our democratic processes would be to get rid of the whips altogether and make everything a free vote. If that was the case, I am pretty sure even with Labour's humungous majority, the reprehensible WFA vote would never have passed.

Well all I can say is the uncertainty around the budget and spending is starting to impact critical infrastructure projects. Lots of projects for the public sector (Rail, Nuclear, Defence) delaying decisions until Jan 2025 and not willing to proceed into the next phase of the work.

Train drivers have voted overwhelmingly to accept a multi-year pay deal, ending a two-year dispute at 16 train companies, their union Aslef has announced.

finally! well done Labour.
sorting out pay for junior doctors and ending the risk of further strikes is also huge.

Train drivers have voted overwhelmingly to accept a multi-year pay deal, ending a two-year dispute at 16 train companies, their union Aslef has announced.

sorting out pay for junior doctors and ending the risk of further strikes is also huge.
But they haven't !

BBC News - Junior doctors want more despite backing pay deal - BBC News https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy5yy13ng33o

As for the pay deal with ASLEF it looks, on the surface at least, that the unions got what they asked for without any reforms to working practices. No wonder they've accepted it.

Are you serious???

Just lobbing a load of (our) money at them and you think that deserves a "well done"?

Just how difficult would you find it to give someone else's money away??? You'll be congratulating them for breathing next.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.