The Labour Government

How do you propose paying for the nationwide technology required to run driverless trains? It would require the whole UK rail infrastructure to be ripped up. Signals/platforms/track/trains.

It isn't feasible on safety grounds either.
You wouldn’t need to rip up the tracks or platforms. Crossrail already uses ERTMS level 2 in the central section.

ERTMS can be run in overlay, so you can keep your signals but trains that are modified run under ATO control would be able to do so. You still have fixed block but don’t get the capacity benefit until the remainder of the trains e.g freight on the route have been upgraded with ATO. Freight however would still need drivers.

For safety and detraining passengers if a unit fails you do the same as DLR do and have train captains.

I just heard that Starmer earned circa £404k last year and paid £99k in tax.

Plugging £400k into Martin Lewis' income tax calculator, you get this:

View attachment 132250

He's paid circa £70,000 less than any other highly paid employee. So presumably he's benefitted from various tax dodges about which he has at the same time been critical. Honestly I cannot think of a politician I loathe more than this man.

The bit you're missing is Capital Gains Tax is 25% (IIRC) irrespective of the sum involved. And does not count towards earnings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.