The Labour Government

as I pointed out earlier .... a big chunk of that is Capital Gains tax ... payable at a rate of 25% irrespective of your 'income' .

I think it's 20% if it's not residential property.

Lots of articles today in the papers, again suggesting it'll be aligned with Income Tax.

I note most of the right wing press highlight landlords as the biggest losers, because even GB News isn't going to try and convince it's viewers to feel sorry for people making profits from their large share portfolios.

When the not universally popular "landlord" has to be used for sympathy, it's a sign of who this is going to really affect.

Disappointing that BoE and Governement are keeping interest at 5%. There is a significant chance that inflation won't rise this autumn when new taxes brought in by the government start to bite. But Bailey didn't seem to factor that in?

The construction and housing sector are still in recessesion despite Baileys misleading nonsense about mortgage completions rising. It's all relative and they are still running at about half what they were pre covid and throughput the 90s.

What this means is that Labours ambitious new house building target is getting further and further away every day and rents will continue to rise as the population grows and demand oustrips supply.

Last edited:
And let’s not forget, working in the private sector you can get sacked or made redundant in the blink of an eye. Much more jeopardy than the public sector. Amazingly I have three mates who have all been made redundant in recent weeks. Two of them have 30 years service and the other 20 years service.
Having worked in both public and private, for the same employer, I can say that this is simply not the case. Lots of job redundancies occurred over the years. What didn't happen in either were forced staff redundancies-why-because the workers were properly represented. Not in an aggressive or militant manner, but by us ensuring that if there were other vacancies in the organisation, workers were re-deployed where they wanted or they walked voluntarily with an appropriate pay off.

I'm sorry about your mates. I assume as if they've been with the same employer for so long the employers are not total cowboys and appropriate packages are in place.

You should, it’s very therapeutic. Many of my work emails start like that as well but don’t get sent until after the 4th or 5th rewrite hence why I’ve not been fired.
The same practice I used to use when I was a union rep.

It's a talent to be able to change an email from draft one:

"Which fucking **** decided...?"

To

"I am disappointed to learn that an action has been implemented which hasn't been discussed or agreed with local union representatives..."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.