The Labour Government

Superb from Reeves - set the date for rollout of free breakfasts clubs, industrial strategy to be set out, Covid corruption commissioner to be set up and 'no return to austerity' - very positive despite the mess the tories have left her and the country in and also the 22 billion blackhole they have inherited.
No return to austerity?

She’s only been in power for a couple of months and she’s already reduced spending and signalled additional tax rises for the coming months. She also has the same fiscal framework as the previous government, which could in fact become more restrictive if she commits to balancing the current budget.

How do spending cuts and rising taxation not amount to austerity?

No return to austerity?

She’s only been in power for a couple of months and she’s already reduced spending and signalled additional tax rises for the coming months. She also has the same fiscal framework as the previous government, which could in fact become more restrictive if she commits to balancing the current budget.

Which tax rises exactly?

No return to austerity?

Strange how those that think the economy should be run the same as a household budget get all upset when its proposed that the economy is run as a household budget.

With Johnson I wasn’t aware he was known as a pathological liar until he was PM. It may have been muted in the public domain but I don’t recall seeing it. It was certainly well understood by the media.

You weren't aware that someone sacked by the Times and Michael Howard both times for lying, was a pathological liar?

Did you see the Eddie Mair interview in 2013?

Regarding the freebies. This isn’t a Labour problem. It’s a politics problem. I’m pleased a light is being shone on it - this cuts across all parties and they need to clean their act up. No ifs or buts. As I say it’s not a Labour problem and if they sort it out then it’ll be a tick in the good job column.

That said I’m enjoying seeing Starmer squirm because I don’t like the character of the man and how they’ve managed this is a car crash.

But we've already established you're a poor judge of character.

Which tax rises exactly?
There were a number in the manifesto, weren’t there? And that’s on top of the rise tax burden already baked-in from the previous government.

So if the tax burden is rising, and Reeves has already implemented a number of spending cuts, how does that not equate to austerity?

I’m afraid that just saying ‘it’s not austerity’ doesn’t mean that it isn’t.

Strange how those that think the economy should be run the same as a household budget get all upset when its proposed that the economy is run as a household budget.
Think you’re getting yourself a little confused here with all this household budget stuff, which is irrelevant to the point I raised. And in this instance, I’m neither supporting or denouncing austerity.

I’m simply asking why a combination of tax rises and spending cuts, which is exactly what Reeves has implemented, shouldn’t be viewed as austerity.

There were a number in the manifesto, weren’t there? And that’s on top of the rise tax burden already baked-in from the previous government.

So if the tax burden is rising, and Reeves has already implemented a number of spending cuts, how does that not equate to austerity?

I’m afraid that just saying ‘it’s not austerity’ doesn’t mean that it isn’t.
Not that I recall. They said they would not raise personal taxes iirc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.