The Labour Government

Brewster was adamant tax rises were already known, hence my question.

I suspect we will all “ feel a pinch” in one way or another and my bet would be fuel.

It was said though that investment would be a key driver to get things moving.

As you say, have to wait for the budget
The promise of not raising those particular taxes was to get them elected because quite frankly the public are like bloody children. Using income tax and Vat on certain things and restoring the NI rate would have been helpful and its easier to determine who will be paying what.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vic
The tax burden is rising largely due to the freeze in personal allowances on income tax.

You know I think it's funny - and extremely misleading - how the media like to portray this.

They will talk about increased tax burden due to fiscal drag, as if it is some additional pain that taxpayers will feel, an increased tax on them making them poorer.

Of course this is bullshit. When allowances are frozen, no-one pays any additional income tax unless they get a pay rise. And if they do get a pay rise then since income tax rates are never higher than 47% (45% + 2% NI) then you always get to keep at least 53p in every pound of your pay rise. Usually keeping much more than 53p.

i.e. people are always better off as their pay increases. (Of course this excludes the effects of inflation, but inflation also affects their savings and other assets, so is a complicated distraction.)

What, for suggesting no-one should be paid more than the PM? Including the guy interviewing him.

Your outrage is now causing a humour bypass.

The "shake it off" line is a fuck you to anyone trying to hold them to account. Alexei Sayle was right

GOX9V8IXQAIK-tM.png

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.