The Labour Government

I presume you meant do not die? If he cannot afford to pay people then he doesn't have a business - the model doesn't work - sorry but thats how it works - operating costs and the inability to meet them causes many businesses to close their doors - unless you are a nationalised industry like water and rail then you just ask the Govt to bail you out

He can afford to pay people but only at the living wage you get upset about. How does he increase their wage without his business going bust? Explain it to me?

So you are now a capitalist?

He can afford to pay people but only at the living wage you get upset about. How does he increase their wage without his business going bust? Explain it to me?

I assume you mean minimum wage not living wage.

Just because the Tories changed the name doesn't mean it actually became a living wage.

Either or what’s his answer?

Consult a fellow restauranteur for advice?

The might suggest some of the below.

Change his business plan or model? Open fewer nights a week if he isn't already?

Seek extra revenue streams? Get his cooks doing takeaway food or just add it on just eat?

Restaurants frequently go out of business it's a volatile and unforgiving sector. If he can't afford to pay living wage his business is treading water and will go bust soon without evasive action.

Its a very volatile sector mostly due to all the costs that impact it. Personally for me I'd say the Govt should not be topping up wages with our taxes ( are you happy with that btw? ) - stop topping up the wages and businesses who's model works will thrive those where it isn't will sadly fail.

Change his business plan or model? Open fewer nights a week if he isn't already?

Seek extra revenue streams? Get his cooks doing takeaway food or just add it on just eat?

Restaurants frequently go out of business it's a volatile and unforgiving sector. If he can't afford to pay living wage his business is treading water and will go bust soon without evasive action.
There's also the larger economic issue here, which isn't particularly useful to Worsley's brother on an individual level, that the very fact that too many people don't get the living wage is the exact reason why so many people can't afford to eat out in a restaurant. Obviously that's not something a single business owner can deal with, it has to be the whole country. But yeah, 14 years of the Tories has destroyed the disposable income of the ordinary person, while massively increasing costs of doing business through skyrocketing inflation, particularly on utilities. That's why he's finding it hard to make a profit despite paying shit wages to his staff.

Last edited:

He can afford to pay living wage - he can’t afford to pay more. That’s my point.

There's also the larger economic issue here, which isn't particularly useful to Worsley's brother on an individual level, that the very fact that too many people don't get the living wage is the exact reason why so many people can't afford to eat out in a restaurant. Obviously that's not something a single business owner can deal with, it has to be the whole country. But yeah, 14 years of the Tories has destroyed the disposable income of the ordinary person, while massively increasing costs of doing business through skyrocketing inflation, particularly on utilities. That's why he's finding it hard to make a profit despite paying shit wages to his staff.

This is an underrated factor in a circular economy and something the blunt tools of Conservative rule fail to address.

In real terms, median household disposable income has dropped by about a third since 2010. Adjusted for inflation that is a £10k decrease per household. That is huge. With that extra disposable income a couple could go out for dinner every couple of days for an entire year. Add to the fact that subscription services and phone contracts are taking a much bigger chunk of what is left and it’s no wonder smaller restaurants struggle to stay open. Eating out has become a luxury that many can’t afford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.