The Lack of Atmosphere

This whole issue was epitomised in the Cup Final against Wigan last year. The atmosphere was a disgrace. People try their best to get it going, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth!

20 minutes of two stands singing different songs at once, then tension as we fell away. Lots of roaring late on.

That's just how it is. Some occasions get better atmospheres than others. IT won't ever change much until we pull the two singing bits together.

I'm in 212 and was shouting my tits off last night, had a rough throat when I got home. The first 20 minutes everyone around me was joining in, but it just slowly disappeared and apart from the chorus of Blue Moon after the Chelsea goal I didn't hear much else. I'm not one to start chants but I am usually one of the first to start singing when I hear one going, but there are too many people with a completely different attitude towards it. Think someone touched on it earlier but we need a dedicated 'kop' style stand. All the bollocks about the ground acoustics not being good is just an excuse. The 3000 singers we have in the Etihad just isn't enough. They sound great when they sing together and usually the other stands join in after that, but looking at the sheer size of the Holte End, the Kop, the Stretford End, they all hold around the 11k mark. For fuck sake even Stockport County's Cheadle End holds more than our SS and South Stand. I know OT is quieter than our place but that Stretford End is still massive, imagine us having 10k fans in one dedicated singing end? Would make a world of difference. Something needs to be done.

southstander93 said:
I'm in 212 and was shouting my tits off last night, had a rough throat when I got home. The first 20 minutes everyone around me was joining in, but it just slowly disappeared and apart from the chorus of Blue Moon after the Chelsea goal I didn't hear much else. I'm not one to start chants but I am usually one of the first to start singing when I hear one going, but there are too many people with a completely different attitude towards it. Think someone touched on it earlier but we need a dedicated 'kop' style stand. All the bollocks about the ground acoustics not being good is just an excuse. The 3000 singers we have in the Etihad just isn't enough. They sound great when they sing together and usually the other stands join in after that, but looking at the sheer size of the Holte End, the Kop, the Stretford End, they all hold around the 11k mark. For fuck sake even Stockport County's Cheadle End holds more than our SS and South Stand. I know OT is quieter than our place but that Stretford End is still massive, imagine us having 10k fans in one dedicated singing end? Would make a world of difference. Something needs to be done.

If the club moved the away fans to the other side of the south stand that problem would be solved. But they've blown it and won't put it right.

What happened to the whole stand rising spontaneously in expectation as a player is put thru on goal or a dangerous attack develops. Hardly happens anymore.

Some people don't even stand up when we score.

You can argue for hours about where to put away fans and singing sections and the ubercheesification of pre match "entertainment" but you'll be wasting your time.

The cohort has changed, they're less passionate about City and so the atmosphere suffers accordingly.

The owners have genuinely taken an interest in improving the atmosphere but they're part of the problem. While they want to help engender a good atmosphere, they want a whole lot more to have a stadium full of ABC1 types because -and lets be brutally honest here- City and Eastlands is just a giant image laundering vehicle for Abu Dhabi. They want shiny happy families holding hands not rabid young men, faces contorted with passion, bellowing obscenities at each other.

It'll never come back.

Santiago Street . said:
What happened to the whole stand rising spontaneously in expectation as a player is put thru on goal or a dangerous attack develops. Hardly happens anymore.

Some people don't even stand up when we score.

You can argue for hours about where to put away fans and singing sections and the ubercheesification of pre match "entertainment" but you'll be wasting your time.

The cohort has changed, they're less passionate about City and so the atmosphere suffers accordingly.

The owners have genuinely taken an interest in improving the atmosphere but they're part of the problem. While they want to help engender a good atmosphere, they want a whole lot more to have a stadium full of ABC1 types because -and lets be brutally honest here- City and Eastlands is just a giant image laundering vehicle for Abu Dhabi. They want shiny happy families holding hands not rabid young men, faces contorted with passion, bellowing obscenities at each other.

It'll never come back.

WTF !!!! Is this pre requisite of becoming a "proper fan" ?

oakie

I'm just outlining one example of fans behaving in a less passionate manner than they did years ago.

Who said anything about "proper fans"

greasedupdeafguy said:
My main annoyance with the atmosphere is pre - match, the club do everything it can to kill of any atmosphere before big games. They have bands playing live 10 mins before kick off in city square so how does that encourage people to get into the stadium? The guy who sings bluemoon is utterly cringey and its impossible for fans to make any noise over wall of music from the tannoy system.

Agree with all this. Five mins before ok the South Stand was almost deserted. People think more of chucking a beer down their necks than the game. And yes the on pitch singer needs to go. Dear me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.