the last great football game?

ali benarbia's studs

self explanatory really.... i m just looking to find out your opinion of a great football match. not so much the result or who was in it but the football played by both sides and how they worked team-wise to out-wit each other.

now,i m irish so no bias here!
my choice has got to be ENGLAND 2 TURKEY 0 in the stadium of light a few year back.the football that night was immense and it is one game i would definately watch again. both sides held onto the ball so preciously,made space to play football.... i just think it really was a mouth watering match!!!! probably the best game i ve ever seen! the turks deserved a goal,but the result didn t matter to me because it was such an epic game!

please post your classic game selections.... cheers!

Arsenal Vs Liverpool (I was 10 and still remember this game, truly unbelievable)

1988-89 season. Arsenal had last won the league in 1970-71, while Liverpool was looking for its seventh title in 10 years. In the final match of the season, Arsenal had to travel to Anfield and had to win. If this wasn’t hard enough, it had to win by at least two goals. A win would see Arsenal and Liverpool level on goal difference but Arsenal would take first place by virtue of having scored more goals.

Liverpool hadn’t lost at Anfield by two goals in two years and Arsenal hadn’t won at Anfield since 1974. This was the history which Arsenal was up against. The match was also being played in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster. Arsenal players come on to the field bearing flowers and a donation for the fund.

After a tense first half it was 0-0 meaning Arsenal would have to score at least twice in the final 45 minutes of the season.

The first one came shortly after halftime via an Alan Smith header. The Liverpool players surrounded the referee and demanded that he reverse his decision but it stood. Now just needing another goal, the Liverpool – Arsenal rivalry was turned up several more notches. With the game winding down, it looked as if Liverpool would hold on, but Arsenal went for one last raid forward and Michael Thomas scored to see Arsenal up the two goals it needed. With just seconds remaining in the game, Liverpool tried to score but couldn’t. This was the closest ever finish in the history of the league. It had been decided by literally the final kick of the season.

City 2 Chelsea 1 this season. Had me literally shaking with excitement.

Not involving City would have to be Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsenal last season. Rarely get as involved in a neutral game as I did with that one and some of Boro's games in th UEFA Cup were great.

Argentina v England, Geneva 2005.

England won 3-2 and Raquelme was great for the Argies but Rooney was OUTSTANDING for England, Rooneys best ever game that I've seen!
It was a proper toe-to-toe slug-out where either team could have won and were both playing great football!

City 4 - Arsenal 1 this year was pretty damned entertaining.

And all three derby matches would certainly have been exciting to any neutral.

Both Chelsea games were end to end and pulsating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.