The level of coaching at City

ono

This is something i've been banging on about for a good few months now. To me, it seems poor. In fact, very poor.

I'll start at the back. First of all, we look a shambles defensively. We can't deal with crosses or set pieces. We don't deal well with balls over the top, we struggle to win the second ball. We have full backs who bomb without regard to what they're leaving behind them. There is little communication, and under a little pressure, our expensively assembled backline looks a bit like a joke (Given aside).

Moving on to midfield. We have nobody who dominates the midfield. Nobody who is comfortable enough on the ball or has the character to be able to stamp their authority on the game. There's little off the ball movement, and for some unknown reason, even when we play 2 defensive minded midfielders, we still look incredibly shaky at the back.

When you move on to the forwards, it's clear as day as to what is happening. Once we move the ball forwards, we are relying on moments of brilliance to pick us up points. This has lead to us, at times, looking devoid of all ideas.

Now this, to me, is where coaching comes in. Watch Arsenal and watch how they can pretty much field a vastly inexperienced side but more often than not, still play close to the ability of the first team. They have a coaching foundation that is buried deep within the club. Once players reach a certain age, they seem ready to step up and immediately look comfortable. The off the ball movement and style of play is breathtakingly good at times. They have their own way of playing and it is very evident. Just keep the ball moving and have at least 2 options for the ball carrier to pass to.

Then watch Barcelona and watch how they play. It helps that they have Messi, Iniesta, Xavi et al, but think back to the friendly we played at the start of the season. They had Gai, Jeffren, Fontas, Pedro, Jonathan Dos Santos - all players alien to probably even the biggest FM fans out there. Yet, despite the scoreline, were able to dominate the game. They were every bit as good as the first team that night, and at times made our strong team look pretty clueless.

Now, keep an eye on how many of those players actually make it at Barca. Probably only Pedro. The rest will probably fall short, but because of the way they have been taught to play football, they are able to collectively dominate a team packed with expensive, experienced internationals.

Now i'm not saying we should instantly have the coaching infastructure of Arsenal or Barcelona. But i am saying, we are the richest club in the world, we have £250m worth of talent at our disposal, so we should have our own identity on the pitch, and it should be successful. We certainly shouldn't be launching pitch length passes to the head of a striker. We certainly shouldn't be relying on moments of individual brilliance to win us games. In an ideal world, individual brilliance should be the safety net when a certain footballing philosophy isn't working. We seem to have the individuals capable of brilliant things but i'm still not sure as to what our footballing philiosophy is.

This is where Hughes backroom staff come in. Apart from the goalkeeping coach, they've been drafted in from Blackburn/Wales. They've been part of set-ups that have had limited success albeit with players of a supposed lesser ability. They appear to have done well with instilling a work ethic, but to me that's probably as far as we can go without bringing in more help. I'm not for one minute suggesting we get rid of his backroom staff, but we are quite clearly missing something. Some form of tehnical and tactical coaching to compliment the work ethic and desire, or somebody who can organise us at the back. Somebody who can teach us to be comfortable on the ball and not hurry the ball forwards. Somebody who can give us our own footballing identity.

As a fan i can only use what we are witnessing on the pitch to figure out what's going on off the pitch, and to me there is quite clearly something missing. We aren't performing much better than Hughes' Blackburn side. The only difference is, we have the individual quality to fall back on. Hopefully in the near future our level of coaching will be up there with the very best. Until that happens, what we're seeing now, is probably about as good as it's going to get.

Great post and something i have raised of late on here as well.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Another one who's got his UEFA licence and spends 24 hours a day at Carrington and CoMS.

Does having an 'opinion' licence count with you?

Prestwich_Blue said:
Another one who's got his UEFA licence and spends 24 hours a day at Carrington and CoMS.

Did you actually read the whole post? because if you did the op imo raises some very good points,on the defensive side of things what we lack is a real leader and talker both Lescott and Toure are good defenders but imo are more like a second defender thats why Hughes wanted Terry.

The poster has described a team destined for relegation:) How can they be as shambolic as he says and yet have only lost one game all season and be where they are in the league.

Not saying all is perfect but it aint as bad as he says.

I think it's very hard to judge the errors of the coaching setup as we don't see it firsthand.

However Barca have played their style of football for yonks, and Wenger has been at Arsenal for over a decade, Hughes has been in 18 months. And by the fact that his managerial upbringing has been somewhat different and that his makeup is to graft for a victory, it will take a good period of time before I think he would be able to imprint a way of playing that is his own and it will probably never be as good to watch as Arsenal and Barca, different managers have different ways of doing things.

Secondly those clubs play the way the first team does, and the first team manager has a lot of input into the academy. Now as far as I'm where, a lot of you have been critical of the hands on approach Hughes has had to the academy, you can't have it both ways.

Hughes will stay to the end of the season, and very little will change in the way we play other than we may become more solid. We're a hard to beat team not a dominating, winning team at the moment.

"They have their own way of playing and it is very evident. Just keep the ball moving and have at least 2 options for the ball carrier to pass to."

From what I've seen this season so far I think that this hits the nail on the head. I also believe that it is a problem when we attack that often leaves us exposed in defense. When we play forwards we often lose our way because there is little or no movement by off the ball players giving no passing options. Hence we either pass the ball backwards or sideways or lose it to the opposition due to dwelling on the ball or a high risk passing option.

I'm not being kind to the defence particularly but I think we need to look at what too often happens in front of them with huge gaps appearing for the opposition to fill as a result of our players not covering back. Much as I love his play going forwards Ireland is one of our worst offenders with this. How often does he miss a tackle or miss a player completely by over running him. Watch yesterdays game and you will see it more than once. Often this happens in key areas of the pitch which allows the other team to threaten. I am not picking on Ireland most of the forwards and midfield have been guilty of this.

The problem with this is that we will be exposed against sides who pack the midfield and play aggressively, defensively and on the break, ie. the bottom two thirds of the premiership, conversely we should do better against teams that play a more open game

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.