The Liberal Democrats

There's an interesting "but for" analysis you can bring to bear in relation to the Lib Dems.

But for Nick Clegg's decision to buddy up to Cameron, there would have been no coalition government in 2010.

But for the austerity programme driven by the coalition government it is unlikely the same undercurrent of seething resentment would have built up over the years that followed.

But for Nick Clegg's abandoning the tuition fees pledge that he made, it is unlikely that the Lib Dems would have been decimated in 2015.

But for the coalition government and his assessment the Tories would not win an outright majority, It is unlikely that Cameron would have permitted a referendum on EU membership to be part of the tories' 2015 manifesto.

But for the inclusion of the referendum promise in the 2015 manifesto it is unlikely Brexit would have happened.

Given Nick Clegg's stance on Brexit, there is no little irony in the fact that you can, if you are so inclined, trace it back to him.

Going to take more than one lifetime to get over the consequences of that scumbags choices. Entirely fitting that having screwed over a country he went on to shill for a company seemingly bent on causing chaos at a global level. In some ways he's more despicable than Dodgy Dave.

In fairness Ed Davey seems the polar opposite of Clegg and the most relatable of the main party leaders currently at large.

If I remember correctly they basically facilitated the 2019 election at the point when we were within touching distance of a parliamentary majority for a second referendum.

I think Jo Swinson just compounded the problems that started under Nick Clegg, she lacked experience and the result was short-term extreme positions overriding more sensible long-term strategy.

I think Ed has brought the party back to its roots of being the “sensible middle road”. I know that won’t be enough for many who quite rightly feel their trust in the LibDems has been irreparably compromised.

I’m not the type to hold that kind of entrenched view, 5 years is a long time in politics and it feels more constructive to judge a party based on what it is today rather than some idea of what it has been in the past.

I think Jo Swinson just compounded the problems that started under Nick Clegg, she lacked experience and the result was short-term extreme positions overriding more sensible long-term strategy.

I think Ed has brought the party back to its roots of being the “sensible middle road”. I know that won’t be enough for many who quite rightly feel their trust in the LibDems has been irreparably compromised.

I’m not the type to hold that kind of entrenched view, 5 years is a long time in politics and it feels more constructive to judge a party based on what it is today rather than some idea of what it has been in the past.
Do you know, I should vote Lib Dem. I'm hugely socially liberal and I'm very much a political centrist. But i've only voted for them once years ago and I won't do again this time. It's sad really that people like me feel that way and that's because of our policial system. If it was proportional representation I would seriously consider a vote for them and I would certainly have voted for them in the last election.

I feel genuinely sorry for the LibDems as they simply can't get through to people like me. I'm far too entrenched in hatred of the incumbents and a desire for change.

Healthy fags they were, if you wanted to get really fit though you went full menthol :)
Before I managed to give up fags, I found it really easy, only 47 failed attempts, I started smoking Silk Cut, well I am silk cut so it seemed destined. They then brought out Silk Cut Low. More expensive and you also heeded a poltise to get a draw.

I never liked Triathlons before the Silk Cut, and to be fair I still don’t. Fucking pointless if you ask me.

I'm leaning towards voting for them. My only concern is that, on the balance of probability, it's a wasted vote. It would be refreshing to see them do well, and we need to move away from this two-party system.

I can assure you if you vote for them it will not change a bloody thing, so if you want to just do it. Don't give your support to a party you agree with less. No need really.

Do you know, I should vote Lib Dem. I'm hugely socially liberal and I'm very much a political centrist. But i've only voted for them once years ago and I won't do again this time. It's sad really that people like me feel that way and that's because of our policial system. If it was proportional representation I would seriously consider a vote for them and I would certainly have voted for them in the last election.

I feel genuinely sorry for the LibDems as they simply can't get through to people like me. I'm far too entrenched in hatred of the incumbents and a desire for change.

Christ sake another one.

There's an interesting "but for" analysis you can bring to bear in relation to the Lib Dems.

But for Nick Clegg's decision to buddy up to Cameron, there would have been no coalition government in 2010.

But for the austerity programme driven by the coalition government it is unlikely the same undercurrent of seething resentment would have built up over the years that followed.

But for Nick Clegg's abandoning the tuition fees pledge that he made, it is unlikely that the Lib Dems would have been decimated in 2015.

But for the coalition government and his assessment the Tories would not win an outright majority, It is unlikely that Cameron would have permitted a referendum on EU membership to be part of the tories' 2015 manifesto.

But for the inclusion of the referendum promise in the 2015 manifesto it is unlikely Brexit would have happened.

Given Nick Clegg's stance on Brexit, there is no little irony in the fact that you can, if you are so inclined, trace it back to him.
I see it exactly the same way. I found a lot of lib dem policy attractive during the 90s and early 2000s, but when they got their chances to drive a hard bargain or at least hold the Tories to account in coalition they shit themselves and got shown up as tory-lite wank puffins.
Deservedly back in the political wilderness

I see it exactly the same way. I found a lot of lib dem policy attractive during the 90s and early 2000s, but when they got their chances to drive a hard bargain or at least hold the Tories to account in coalition they shit themselves and got shown up as tory-lite wank puffins.
Deservedly back in the political wilderness
Strange how these Tory-lite wank puffins keep getting a shot at power inbetween Tory governments isn't it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.