The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

Why are the church of england advertising anyway?! I seriously doubt anybody sitting down to watch star wars will see it and think "Ooooh, that look right up my street" and go and get baptised after the film.

Firm are we, Jedi, in our faith. Time wasted by these Christians, it has been.

Most of them have really good acoustics, I'd convert them into music venues and studios.

I'd like them to be given to the local councils for usage as outreach centres, meeting places or generally things that befit their historical role in the community. Turning them into scummy dive bars or shite flats for the terminally pretentious just doesn't seem right to me

excerpt from the telegraph

But here’s the nub of the issue: if we seriously think fully grown adults on a night out at the cinema are too feeble-minded to cope with a 60 second advert about a prayer, then why on earth do we allow our children to be brainwashed with compulsory lessons about God from the age of five in our schools?

Why should we as adults be saved from having to sit through a prayer before a Star Wars movie, yet it is acceptable that children barely able to read or write should be required to attend – as the 1944 Education Act enshrine in law – to a daily act of worship in every state school, regardless of their parents’ or their personal beliefs?

If we don’t want religion forced on adults in cinemas, then it’s about time we stopped forcing it on children in schools as well.

I'd like them to be given to the local councils for usage as outreach centres, meeting places or generally things that befit their historical role in the community. Turning them into scummy dive bars or shite flats for the terminally pretentious just doesn't seem right to me

Community music venues :)

A few extracts from an excellent article on the situation:

No one 'banned' the Church of England ad – they're making it up

Here's what happened: A commercial agency decided a Church of England ad might upset paying customers going to the cinema so it decided not to take it. They did so, rather predictably given they are a commercial agency, for commercial reasons. Then the Church of England played an absolute blinder of a press strategy and got themselves on the front of the Mail, the Times and all over the BBC. Fair do's to them. If you're in PR, watch what Arun Arora, director of communications for the Church of England, is doing and learn it. It's a great way of getting far more free advertising than you would ever have been able to pay for by putting your ad in a cinema.

But regardless of my opinion of the policy, or anyone else's, that ad did not get banned. It fell foul of a policy, just as a non-religious ad would have done.

The establishment church is not some silenced minority. It has plenty of ways to get its message out, including through it's state-protected schools, it's state-protected peers in the Lords, it's state-protected position during moments of public ceremony, or even Thought for the Day. Religion is still given a pride of place in society which is completely at odds with the level of support it enjoys.

Full article here: http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/201...the-church-of-england-ad-they-re-making-it-up

Community music venues :)

I work in the world of property and can confirm that old stone Churches are some of the most difficult buildings to do anything with. They are a nightmare to heat and insulate. You could spend a lot of time raising cash and to be honest you might as well burn the money directly as opposed to investing in some sort of heating system and trying to use the building!

Shame as they are nice architecturally but functional they are not!

I don't think it is. Suppose a buddhist, a muslim a Christian and a Jew all took religious icons to market to sell, and three were permitted to sell theirs but the muslim was refused permission. That is plainly discriminatory, if the reason for permission being refused is his religion (rather than some other justifiable reason, e.g. not having a licence or similar).

But suppose none of them were allowed to sell your icons on the basis that the market is fruit and veg only. That cannot be discrimination. The fact that the product is religious in nature does not mean that anybody is being discriminated against on the grounds of his religion: he is not. However the service they all require is not one that the service provider offers. To put it another way, they can pick and choose what services they provide, but they cannot pick and choose who they provide those services to on the basis of the protected characteristics identified by the Act.
It seems that DCM had no written policy in place until very recently and a legal challenge may be made on the grounds indicated in the OP. 'In a letter to DCM, the Church’s legal chief Stephen Slack alleges its decision “not to screen the proposed advertisement would involve unlawful discrimination” because DCM would be “directly discriminating against the Archbishops’ Council” by failing to provide a service to them on grounds of religion or belief.' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...-dont-like-religion-Church-tells-cinemas.html

It seems that DCM had no written policy in place until very recently and a legal challenge may be made on the grounds indicated in the OP reprt. 'In a letter to DCM, the Church’s legal chief Stephen Slack alleges its decision “not to screen the proposed advertisement would involve unlawful discrimination” because DCM would be “directly discriminating against the Archbishops’ Council” by failing to provide a service to them on grounds of religion or belief.' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...-dont-like-religion-Church-tells-cinemas.html

And again: that's a nonsense. They are not discriminating on grounds of religion if they treat all religions the same. It's all sound and fury: they've got way more publicity from this contrivance than they ever would have from the advert.

It seems that DCM had no written policy in place until very recently and a legal challenge may be made on the grounds indicated in the OP. 'In a letter to DCM, the Church’s legal chief Stephen Slack alleges its decision “not to screen the proposed advertisement would involve unlawful discrimination” because DCM would be “directly discriminating against the Archbishops’ Council” by failing to provide a service to them on grounds of religion or belief.' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...-dont-like-religion-Church-tells-cinemas.html

i would argue Christmas in its current form is virtually non religious in any case

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.