The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

I see that this thread has rapidly filled up with the usual offensive bile and now directly mocks The Lord's Prayer. Shameful.

Organised religion George. That's the real shameful thing in this thread. A tool used to brainwash the unwashed masses for centuries becomes a complete waste of time and irrelevant in the modern age when they spend money on stuff like this. Do you not see this?

250k would have been put to better use continuing the good work they do with the poor and sick and NOT trying to promote an outdated belief system that has little or no relevance in modern society when all people want to see is some dude in black get defeated by some blokes with swords made of light.

(This also applies to other adverts which, pardon the use of the phrase, are preaching to the converted).

Why are the church of england advertising anyway?! I seriously doubt anybody sitting down to watch star wars will see it and think "Ooooh, that look right up my street" and go and get baptised after the film.

Why are the church of england advertising anyway?! I seriously doubt anybody sitting down to watch star wars will see it and think "Ooooh, that look right up my street" and go and get baptised after the film.

Pmsl.

I'm hoping things aren't that desperate that the church is trying to attract Star Wars fans ;-)

I wonder how George would feel going to the cinema and seeing an ad for Scientology or Rastafarianism before the film started?

Attendance at many churches in small villages is dropping and attendance increasing at churches in towns and cities (at least where I live this is the case). Sooner or later many of these small village churches are going to close and be sold off I would think.

There's a Church in Wigan that has been converted into flats.

I don't know why I find that idea outrageous and really annoying but I do.

I need to think some more about this issue, my instinct at the moment is to respond that it's more like taking carrots to market and being told you can't sell them, despite their supreme quality, because they were grown by a farmer who believed in God.

I don't think it is. Suppose a buddhist, a muslim a Christian and a Jew all took religious icons to market to sell, and three were permitted to sell theirs but the muslim was refused permission. That is plainly discriminatory, if the reason for permission being refused is his religion (rather than some other justifiable reason, e.g. not having a licence or similar).

But suppose none of them were allowed to sell your icons on the basis that the market is fruit and veg only. That cannot be discrimination. The fact that the product is religious in nature does not mean that anybody is being discriminated against on the grounds of his religion: he is not. However the service they all require is not one that the service provider offers. To put it another way, they can pick and choose what services they provide, but they cannot pick and choose who they provide those services to on the basis of the protected characteristics identified by the Act.

There's a Church in Wigan that has been converted into flats.

I don't know why I find that idea outrageous and really annoying but I do.

Theres a church near mine thats been converted into a mosque, the most surprising thing is that not one person had any problem with it. I was looking forward to a good laugh when the EDL posted leaflets, but nothing. This country has changed i tell ya, even our racists have gone soft

I wonder how George would feel going to the cinema and seeing an ad for Scientology or Rastafarianism before the film started?

If the same Cinema had previously shown an advertisement for Christianity surely he could have no complaints.

If the same cinema had banned the advert for Christianity and then allowed the rastafarians their 2 minutes, he would have legitimate grounds for complaining.

Do what we do. Arrive twenty after the advertised time, just in time for the feature to start, then you miss all the shite.

It's not rocket science.

The last time I did that I ended up on the front row, by the end of the film I had a very stiff neck!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.