The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

I'm not convinced a cinema screening is the right place for an "advert" for a religious group. It's not really an advert in the true sense of the word in any case, we're not talking about Coca Cola here, or the new Ford Focus, we're talking about religion, and specifically the Church of England. I'd say this was more closely linked to a party political broadcast than it would be to an advert for beer or perfume. People aren't going to get riled up, offended, or agitated by an ad for the new iPhone 6, there's the definite possibility that some would be by religious content, whether that be because they are anti religion as a whole, or simply don't associate themselves with the specific religion in question. I don't believe you can judge the two types of "advert" equally, they are very different things.

For me an advert promoting a certain religion has no place in a movie theatre, in the same way that a party political broadcast has no place there either. I'm also not convinced that showing this advert in cinemas would actually be worthwhile in any case, I struggle to see the scenario whereby someone sits down to watch the latest blockbuster, sees an advert about the church, praying etc and thinks "I must drop down my local church on Sunday".
Thats a good post and closest to my line of thinking on the subject.

I'm not convinced a cinema screening is the right place for an "advert" for a religious group. It's not really an advert in the true sense of the word in any case, we're not talking about Coca Cola here, or the new Ford Focus, we're talking about religion, and specifically the Church of England. I'd say this was more closely linked to a party political broadcast than it would be to an advert for beer or perfume. People aren't going to get riled up, offended, or agitated by an ad for the new iPhone 6, there's the definite possibility that some would be by religious content, whether that be because they are anti religion as a whole, or simply don't associate themselves with the specific religion in question. I don't believe you can judge the two types of "advert" equally, they are very different things.

For me an advert promoting a certain religion has no place in a movie theatre, in the same way that a party political broadcast has no place there either. I'm also not convinced that showing this advert in cinemas would actually be worthwhile in any case, I struggle to see the scenario whereby someone sits down to watch the latest blockbuster, sees an advert about the church, praying etc and thinks "I must drop down my local church on Sunday".

I'd agree with that.

I think it's ad agencies, movie companies, and cinema chains who think people would like to sit through ads before their movie. Trailers yes, fine, but ads can fuck off, films nowadays don't start for about 25 minutes after the "start time" advertised.

God botherers isn't particularly nice or helpful either.

It was the people in charge of putting the ads on that blocked it so thanks to them. It was the god botherers who thought it was a good idea to wank money on something that wouldn't be shown rather than use the money for good things.

I've just listened to that on iPlayer and, first of all, the Bishop interviewed says he was NOT directly involved in making the ad, but is involved in the website the ad points to. If he is correct in stating that DCM initially agreed to place the ad and then reneged on that agreement then DCM are probably in breach of contract. But it's still not discrimination :)

It will be a cold, dark day in hell before I believe the word of an advertising executive over a man of the cloth.

Some **** on tv from the CoE saying atheists need to stop being so sensitive.

Fucking lol.

The reason I started this thread was to show that over the last few years we had become a fucking nation of molly coddlers,not wanting to upset x,y and z cry babies.
Just to prove my point I was amazed to hear on BBC Radio within the hour that at The Garrick Theatre in Altrincham,this coming Yule-tide,they are producing that well known Christmas Panto :
Snow White and The Seven ...... no,no,no you now can`t use the fucking word "Dwarves" for fear of upsetting some fucker !! Its now called Snow White and The Seven People !! WTF is going on in our namby pamby state.
Paul Merton for years has been using this put down on society "bureaucracy gone mad".
How very apt and oh so true.
We are governed by too many numb nuts and how true to life we are becoming to "1984".

The reason I started this thread was to show that over the last few years we had become a fucking nation of molly coddlers,not wanting to upset x,y and z cry babies.
Just to prove my point I was amazed to hear on BBC Radio within the hour that at The Garrick Theatre in Altrincham,this coming Yule-tide,they are producing that well known Christmas Panto :
Snow White and The Seven ...... no,no,no you now can`t use the fucking word "Dwarves" for fear of upsetting some fucker !! Its now called Snow White and The Seven People !! WTF is going on in our namby pamby state.
Paul Merton for years has been using this put down on society "bureaucracy gone mad".
How very apt and oh so true.
We are governed by too many numb nuts and how true to life we are becoming to "1984".
You post would have some merit if political or religious adverts had ever been allowed in cinemas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.