The Lords Prayer advert now banned in cinemas.

This. Let's see if they're idiotic enough to file a suit.
I don't think they will file, and having read the policy of DCM Ltd, I don't think they are acting illegally. I think it is a sad policy though.

Rather than ban all political and religious adverts outright, they could easily be selective in where and how they are displayed. The advert might be appropriate for a Christmas or Christian related film, but wouldn't be displayed during, for instance, Bollywood week. Similar judgement would be applied for political advertising.

The argument that one doesn't want to see the Lord's Prayer advert is a poor one. Just talk over it and ignore it if it doesn't interest you.

It is curious that the CoE don't seem to have embarked on a legal challenge yet. I thought they may have been able to argue from the definition of religion or belief in the Act without recourse to a comparator. That by restricting their services in this way DCM are in effect discriminating against all religions/belief systems of which the CoE is one.
That isn't what the act says though. What is protected under the act is the particular religion or belief of a person.

That isn't what the act says though. What is protected under the act is the particular religion or belief of a person.
It protects characteristics but if you need an individual how about the Archbishop of Canterbury then?

Religion or belief - What the Act says
2.43 The protected characteristic of religion or belief includes any religion and any religious or philosophical belief. It also includes a lack of any such religion or belief.
2.44 For example, Christians are protected against discrimination because of their Christianity and non-Christians are protected against discrimination because they are not Christians, irrespective of any other religion or belief they may have or any lack of one.
2.45 The meaning of religion and belief in the Act is broad and is consistent with Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights (which guarantees freedom of thought, conscience and religion).
Meaning of religion
2.46 ‘Religion’ means any religion and includes a lack of religion. The term ‘religion’ includes the more commonly recognised religions in the UK such as the Baha’i faith, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Rastafarianism, Sikhism and Zoroastrianism.
It is for the courts to determine what constitutes a religion. s.9(4) s.10(1) & (2) s.10(1)

Last edited:
Fucking god botherers, if I wanted to listen to the Lords pray I'd go to church, but I don't, I have no interest in this mumbo jumbo, so why should I be subject to it? Why do they feel the need to spread the 'word'. annoying twats!

Those affiliated to DCM Ltd don't. These include Cineworld, Odeon and Vue. Their policy is here. http://www.dcm.co.uk/uploads/docume...Cinema_Media_Limited_s_Advertising_Policy.pdf
Thanks.

So why are the CoE "disappointed and bewildered"?

Anyone cynical might think they're just trying to whip up a media storm so their version of the fairy story gets more air time on the news.

I'm sure that's not the case though. Christians are nice, not like that other lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.