The luckiest City fans in our history

My first game was the Charity Shield vs West Brom. It featured football I had never seen before. We seemed to operate on a far bigger pitch than the other teams. I was at uppermill primary and all my classmates were united. The FA cup final against Leicester, Shalke and Gornik Zabre. All memories burnt into the cells in black and white and mud. I loved (yes loved) Colin Bell. So many players over the years, so much hurt but so much elation. Gillingham, Blackburn, Huckerbee, white, the Keegan season with Ali Bernania. So much history up to 2009.

And then…… we have seen things that others will never, ever see….

The three that already have statues and those that all made massive contributions. We have the best run club in the world and I genuinely think this is just the end of the beginning. As many have said, we are blessed.

Started supporting City in 68 (glory hunter, I know!) First few years were brilliant, first game in 71, started going on a regular basis in 74/75, still really good until we made the biggest mistake in our history, bringing Mal back, though Swales didn't help. Carried on through the 80's yoyo years until 1993 when child number two came along which limited finances, though bought shares to compensate for not going.
Suffered from the sidelines during the really bad times apart from one or two games a season. Proud to say that I wasn't at York away and watched the Gillingham game in my front room with cardmy Dad and a mate, can still picture them leaping up from the sofa after Dickov scored. Carried on watching the odd game per season up until 2004 when previously mentioned child no 2 decided he wanted to go on a more regular basis. Used to go to all the cup games and Thomas Cook trophy games as tickets were more easily available and cheaper. Friend used to let me use his card when he couldn't go which is how I managed to be there against QPR in 2012. Qualified for a season card when the expansion took place and been going ever since.
Still can't believe how lucky we are to be watching the football we play and the trophies we win. Even though logically I know we are so far ahead of other teams the City fan in me thinks we are still going to throw it away at every important game we play, that is why I appreciate everything that is happening at this time.
It is only when you have been through the really bad times that you can enjoy what we have now.
It also makes me laugh when the Rags start ranting about their problems. At least 80 clubs fans would snatch their hands off to be in that position.

Started supporting City in 68 (glory hunter, I know!) First few years were brilliant, first game in 71, started going on a regular basis in 74/75, still really good until we made the biggest mistake in our history, bringing Mal back, though Swales didn't help. Carried on through the 80's yoyo years until 1993 when child number two came along which limited finances, though bought shares to compensate for not going.
Suffered from the sidelines during the really bad times apart from one or two games a season. Proud to say that I wasn't at York away and watched the Gillingham game in my front room with cardmy Dad and a mate, can still picture them leaping up from the sofa after Dickov scored. Carried on watching the odd game per season up until 2004 when previously mentioned child no 2 decided he wanted to go on a more regular basis. Used to go to all the cup games and Thomas Cook trophy games as tickets were more easily available and cheaper. Friend used to let me use his card when he couldn't go which is how I managed to be there against QPR in 2012. Qualified for a season card when the expansion took place and been going ever since.
Still can't believe how lucky we are to be watching the football we play and the trophies we win. Even though logically I know we are so far ahead of other teams the City fan in me thinks we are still going to throw it away at every important game we play, that is why I appreciate everything that is happening at this time.
It is only when you have been through the really bad times that you can enjoy what we have now.
It also makes me laugh when the Rags start ranting about their problems. At least 80 clubs fans would snatch their hands off to be in that position.
Spoken like a true blue.

Started supporting City in 68 (glory hunter, I know!)

Trafford Rangers won the European Cup the same year, to be fair. (I'm in the same boat as you). You could have been even more of a glory hunter. I'd be curious to meet somebody who started supporting Bury or Oldham that same year.

An odd person to quote, I know, but peculiarly relevant to any blue who's lived through the last thirty years or so:

“It is only a beginning, always. The young must know it; the old must know it. It must always sustain us, because the greatness comes not when things go always good for you, but the greatness comes and you are really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes, because only if you have been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.” — Nixon's farewell speech to White House staff

I used to 'mind' cars around the swamp with my raggy mates from Ordsall back in the 70's - sad to say they did get huge crowds when they were in the second division.
Soon as I had enough to pay for City the following week I would go home - haven't got a clue if anybody's car got screwed or not! To be fair as soon as my mates had enough they would go in and watch the rags.

Standing for four fucking hours on that bus in Istanbul after the Tr3bl3 was in the bag I can honestly say I didn't feel that lucky! Only joking.

It's been a long, long, long journey and the ups and downs have been character building - the fact we laughed at the downs mean that us FOC appreciate the ups even more.
I don't begrudge the young uns a thing and I hope they see us become the most successful English club ever.

Lucky? You bet I am.

I reckon my age group, mud 60’s FOC. Got to see the Bell, Lee, Summerbee years and the trophies of 1968 to 1970, leading through to Tony Book’s team of the mid 70’s, and then the abject misery of the 80’s and 90’s BUT I wouldn’t change the latter for anything - being a Blue then was character building and led to true understanding of the word loyalty. Then being able to watch the Mancini, Pellegreni and Pep years, with the contrast to the 35 years before that making the appreciation of what we have now all the sweeter, while still being able to say we were there when we were shit. I am one lucky FOC BLUE

I reckon my age group, mud 60’s FOC. Got to see the Bell, Lee, Summerbee years and the trophies of 1968 to 1970, leading through to Tony Book’s team of the mid 70’s, and then the abject misery of the 80’s and 90’s BUT I wouldn’t change the latter for anything - being a Blue then was character building and led to true understanding of the word loyalty. Then being able to watch the Mancini, Pellegreni and Pep years, with the contrast to the 35 years before that making the appreciation of what we have now all the sweeter, while still being able to say we were there when we were shit. I am one lucky FOC BLUE
I'm exactly the same as you, and, at every game, I bet your childlike enthusiasm returns as you cheer every goal we score. Fortunately, the pangs of frustration when we concede are less and less.
Happy days indeed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.