The Mancini appointment over 2 years on...

Bojinov The Bull

Watched the bluemoon rising dvd last night and it obviously covered that stage when Hughes got sacked and Mancini came in and THAT press conference. It was interesting to see now looking back just how well we really did after he came in that season, we were in real danger at the time of just finishing 6th or 7th but in the end narrowly missed out on the Champions League and Carling Cup final because of Mancini's excellent management.

Since then he's been through a tougher time than probably any manager has ever been through (and still survived with his job!) with all the various stories that happened, the 'player uprisings', media continually on his back, Tevez wanting to leave, having to win the league or he's finished etc...etc...

Look at the position we are in now and it really was a masterstroke by the Sheikh and Khaldoon to sack Hughes at that point and get Mancini in, the perfect man for the job. They made the tough decision and it paid dividends, has Khaldoon ever made even a remotely bad decision since he came? I dont think so. We literally couldn't have got better owners if we tried. The thing that really stands out for me though above everything is just how classy they are in the face of everything thats happened, they never react to anything, never make stupid statements, everything is always ultra ultra professional all the time.

When you think about this its for a while it's no wonder the press, the refs and the rags are all running scared!

Despite what people who bang on about stability might say, I see no negative to replacing your manager with a better one ;).

hgblue said:
Despite what people who bang on about stability might say, I see no negative to replacing your manager with a better one ;).

Never a truer word spoken, It isn't that much more complicated than that. Yes, you have a little upheaval whilst the staff change but results usually pick up.

The "stability" merchants, regular as clockwork, use Alex Ferguson as a weapon but forget to mention the dozens and dozens of Gareth Southgates, Bryan Robsons and Steve Keans who should have been bulletted earlier. United stick with Fergie because he's successful, not the other way round.

With regards to Hughes, I would argue he should have gone earlier. WE basically lost a season in the year he was replaced, a season we missed out on our goals and gained players like Santa Cruz who became deadwood. He should have gone six months earlier.

Didsbury Dave said:
hgblue said:

Never a truer word spoken, It isn't that much more complicated than that. Yes, you have a little upheaval whilst the staff change but results usually pick up.

The "stability" merchants, regular as clockwork, use Alex Ferguson as a weapon but forget to mention the dozens and dozens of Gareth Southgates, Bryan Robsons and Steve Keans who should have been bulletted earlier. United stick with Fergie because he's successful, not the other way round.

With regards to Hughes, I would argue he should have gone earlier. WE basically lost a season in the year he was replaced, a season we missed out on our goals and gained players like Santa Cruz who became deadwood. He should have gone six months earlier.

I agree. Maybe the 'higher ups' were a bit worried about how his sacking would go down amongst a already hostile media? Or, they had a replacement in mind who wasn't available at the time? Either way, I bet they've learnt their lesson from that episode....

Well the actual sacking of Hughes could have been handled better even if the sacking was justified but apart from that its been a remarkably smooth ride from where we were when Sheikh Mansour took over to our current lofty position - and yes I know its fashionable to say its being far from smooth and that we are still run in a mickey mouse manner so to the nay sayers lets just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Hiring Mancini was a key appointment that turned out far better than I could have imagined or hoped for. There were 4 Italians at the sharp end of English football at the beginning of last season and you would have been dismissed as an idiot to suggest that Mancini would outlast them all.

Housepoints and goldstars all round from me.

BobKowalski said:
There were 4 Italians at the sharp end of English football at the beginning of last season and you would have been dismissed as an idiot to suggest that Mancini would outlast them all.

Good point! I bet the odds of Mancini outlasting Capello and Ancelotti would be astronomical.

when sven left and we were looking for a manager i touted the name mancini on here
i have to be honest and didnt think it would be a first choice name and i was right
almost every person on here that replied said "no not for me" or similar
i am not saying i told you so or i was right all along
mancini is not what i was expecting
and certainly has done better than many expected
a lot of which is down to the new and very prof manner in which city seem to be run nowadays
i am still not totally vonvinced by him but fair play he has delivered a cup and maybe just maybe more to come

managers come and go as do players but i will be a city fan always
ctid

hgblue said:

And who is this 'better one'?

levets said:
hgblue said:

And who is this 'better one'?

Hughes ------- Mancini. I'm not falling for that one mate ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.