The new Manics album

svennis pennis said:
TMQ have you watched the channel 4 program yet? I watched it last night. Pretty insightful. I cant help but think Wire is still really uncomfortable with this record. Really uncomfortable. There seems to be a part of him that is slightly envious at how Richeys lyrics have re-energized James? What do you think?

Yeah I saw it on 4OD late on Saturday night mate.

I know what you mean about Wire, he seems uncomfortable with it whilst James seems in awe of it. Not sure if he's envious of the effect it's had on James or whether he's simply aware that he could never really match these lyrics and as such the next Manics album will be under a lot of scrutiny, especially lyrically. Wire's an odd one lyrically, he's capable of really moving lines here and there but he's also capable of really clumsy analogies at times that belittle the rest of the lyric.

I think ultimately it's always boiled down to the fact that by the time he was 24 or so he was married and settled and as such as he lost his, for want of a better phrase, 'teenage angst' his lyrics suffered generally speaking. Whereas Richey spiralled out of control mentally and physically which whilst tragic on a human level at least allowed his art to remain interesting.

I feel for Wire in so much that whatever he writes he knows that the fans and the critics will always be aware of how inferior it is compared to Richey's words but then again he could always argue that he's the one who wrote the bigger more popular songs and since the Manics whole ethos from day one revolved around being a big band it's quite a claim to make.

I got my japanese copy this morning, ordered last week, insanely quick delivery! 2 bonus songs, not listened to them yet although I know that 1 is an instrumental and the other a cover of a Felt song - Primitive Painters.

Did you notice that Bag Lady wasn't on the deluxe version by the way? Must be a mistake surely? Obviously sad bastards like me buy both copies but for those who've only bought the deluxe one it's a bit of a piss take.

New favourite song has to be Virginia State Epileptic Colony!

TheMightyQuinn said:
svennis pennis said:
TMQ have you watched the channel 4 program yet? I watched it last night. Pretty insightful. I cant help but think Wire is still really uncomfortable with this record. Really uncomfortable. There seems to be a part of him that is slightly envious at how Richeys lyrics have re-energized James? What do you think?

Yeah I saw it on 4OD late on Saturday night mate.

I know what you mean about Wire, he seems uncomfortable with it whilst James seems in awe of it. Not sure if he's envious of the effect it's had on James or whether he's simply aware that he could never really match these lyrics and as such the next Manics album will be under a lot of scrutiny, especially lyrically. Wire's an odd one lyrically, he's capable of really moving lines here and there but he's also capable of really clumsy analogies at times that belittle the rest of the lyric.

I think ultimately it's always boiled down to the fact that by the time he was 24 or so he was married and settled and as such as he lost his, for want of a better phrase, 'teenage angst' his lyrics suffered generally speaking. Whereas Richey spiralled out of control mentally and physically which whilst tragic on a human level at least allowed his art to remain interesting.

I feel for Wire in so much that whatever he writes he knows that the fans and the critics will always be aware of how inferior it is compared to Richey's words but then again he could always argue that he's the one who wrote the bigger more popular songs and since the Manics whole ethos from day one revolved around being a big band it's quite a claim to make.

I got my japanese copy this morning, ordered last week, insanely quick delivery! 2 bonus songs, not listened to them yet although I know that 1 is an instrumental and the other a cover of a Felt song - Primitive Painters.

Did you notice that Bag Lady wasn't on the deluxe version by the way? Must be a mistake surely? Obviously sad bastards like me buy both copies but for those who've only bought the deluxe one it's a bit of a piss take.

New favourite song has to be Virginia State Epileptic Colony!

Yeh good points mate. I agree about the manifesto and Wire has written some epics. You know where I stand on their future from now on though. For me this is the grand finale so to speak.

Virginia State Epileptic Colony was the one that instantly grabbed me on the record as well.

As for Bag Lady, I cant believe its not on there. Luckily I still have it but it really should be on the deluxe album.

svennis pennis said:
Yeh good points mate. I agree about the manifesto and Wire has written some epics. You know where I stand on their future from now on though. For me this is the grand finale so to speak.

Virginia State Epileptic Colony was the one that instantly grabbed me on the record as well.

As for Bag Lady, I cant believe its not on there. Luckily I still have it but it really should be on the deluxe album.

I agree that this would be a very fitting end for them as a band; they've finally worked with Richey's left over lyrics and are back to their absolute best musically and the way they present themselves. It'd be a high point to go out on...

But, Wire won't want this to be the end, he'll want to plough on and whilst I'm sure the next album will contain 3 or 4 great songs we know for a fact it will not be as good as this one and will also contain 1 or 2 real poor moments.

I'm a rarity amongst Manics fans in so much that I felt Lifeblood was a good direction for them as it was detached, musically and image wise, which allowed them some dignity. As much as I enjoyed Send Away The Tigers, it had some piss poor moments, musically and lyrically, and was a return to the bombast of EMG etc only 10 years later and therefore a bit contrived.

By all accounts the next album will be Send Away The Tigers part 2, Wire loves the anthemic nature of the songs too much although you do get the impression that James would rather have a real challenge. I've always looked forward to their often mentioned acoustic 'Nebraska' style album although to be honest I think that would've been better suited to Richey's words as opposed to Wire's.

svennis pennis said:
'kin hell! I only ordered the deluxe album late yesterday morning. Its just dropped through my letter box. Signed and everything. lovely!!! Artwork is great! Hand typed lyrics and the images that Richey intended the songs to sound in the spirit of.

TMQ your going to love the second disc! However im not sure I like Wire singing marlon JD and she bathed herself in a bath of bleach.

i'm still bloody waiting for mine, they sent it out to me friday as well! thank god for illegal downloads eh?

NME.COM

For 2 free downloads

Horrors remix of All Is Vanity
Manics remix of a Horrors tune

Not a big Horrors fan to be honest but I'll give these a shot and as a collector I'm obliged to download them!

TheMightyQuinn said:
NME.COM

For 2 free downloads

Not a big Horrors fan to be honest but I'll give these a shot and as a collector I'm obliged to download them!

nice one TMQ, gonna download em now.
got quite a large collection of manics stuff from down the years as well. uk channel bordom, feminine is beautiful etc. i'd say my 7" acetate of motorcycle emptiness is the rarest item i have.
the original suicide alley is the holy grail for me! ha.

hopefully my album will turn up tomorrow then i can get my hands on these demos!

TheMightyQuinn said:
NME.COM

For 2 free downloads

New horrors album is pretty special in all honesty. However that remix has fuck all to do with the song!

svennis pennis said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
NME.COM

For 2 free downloads

New horrors album is pretty special in all honesty. However that remix has fuck all to do with the song!

heard a lot of good things about the horrors album. will download it. i agree about their remix - it's absolute shite.

I've only heard good things about The Horrors album too, I'm probably biased against them due to their image and minor celebrity but I may give the album a quick listen just to be fair.

Jesus, Mikey you do have some rare shit in your collection if you have the Feminine is beautiful 7"!!!

I once saw Suicide Alley 7" for sale in a record shop in Cardiff, fully signed...£750!

My collection is pretty complete aside from the ultra rare stuff, I've got all the singles on CD, most on vinyl or cassette too depending if it was issued or not. I have a promo copy or imported copy of every single too. All the albums obviously, along with promos, signed copies, ltd versions etc.

Not sure what the rarest thing I have is really, I've got Motown Junk CD signed by James and also a promo 12" of Heavenly You Love us with press pack and all the rest. A few years back I had the make up boxes they did as promo items too but I gave them to my ex/she stole them depending on who you believe lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.