The NHS Appreciation Thread

Currently a guest on my Labour unit as my waters have unexpectedly broken at 31 weeks.

They’ve been very good to me so far and receiving excellent care . Not sure how long I will be here as no signs of labour yet. But love the NHS

Last edited:
The last thing the UK needs is the American system where your care is based on your ability to pay not how sick you are ......
Only have to see what the average American is charged for a 5 pack of insulin ( most insulin dependants need 4 packs per month) and I’m not sure if they are charged per pack unlike her in the uk where we have a same drug different strength single charge policy . In this country the NHS is charged between £29-and £53 per pack of 5 insulin pens depending on the type, when you pay for your prescription if you get 20/40 pens you pay a flat £9 charge which is amazing. . In America it’s standard for drug companies to charge $500-$600 a box. Even with certain insurances you can still end up paying a big whack of that. Even with special coupons it’s fucked up. Hospitals charging $50 fora single ibuprofen tablet

I work in pharmacy and seriously we do not know how lucky we are to have a health service that subsidises prescription charges. Pre pays are worth their weight in gold too

Anyone complaining please kick yourself up your arse and see the bigger picture and wider impact for the many millions and not just yourself

It’s still fabulous to most grateful people.
I have family in the USA and they are extremely jealous and broke due to medical bills.

I think the emotional attachment people have with the NHS although understandable is in someways unhelpful. If I walked into McDonalds and ordered a cheese burger, it tasted good and didn’t give me food poisoning I would be satisfied. If you use the NHS and it serves its purpose then every nurse was Florence Nightingale, the experience was fabulous etc... it’s seems we are expecting something to go wrong so are grateful when it does what it is supposed to do.

Like armed police people always throw in the USA as it seems it’s the only comparison. How our health service compares with European countries should be the benchmark as to whether its poor, okay, comparible or indeed fabulous. Unfortunately it’s hard to do without arguments on funding.

If we have the same chance of getting better in the U.K. as we would in Germany then thats all we can ask.

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/ne...ajor-analysis-of-international-health-systems

Commenting on the report, Nigel Edwards, Chief Executive of the Nuffield Trust said:

“Discussion about the NHS is often marked by an unhelpful degree of exaggeration, from those that claim it is the envy of the world to those who say it is inferior to other systems. The reality is a much more mixed picture, but one thing is clear: we run a health system with very scarce resources in terms of staff and equipment and achieve poor outcomes in some vital areas like cancer survival.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.