The north/south divide

Manchestercitychorlton said:
I live chorlton which in my opinion is the best residential area in Manchester although that's just my opinion. I've always felt that south Manchester is closer and more intergrated with the city centre than the north, I would say that south Manchester is a lot less safe though walk a mile out of chorlton in any given direction other than to didsbury and it's pretty rough. I've always thought of north Manchester as just loads and loads of houses though the people are nicer there.

Nell lane massive in da house.

I live chorlton which in my opinion is the best residential area in Manchester although that's just my opinion. I've always felt that south Manchester is closer and more intergrated with the city centre than the north, I would say that south Manchester is a lot less safe though walk a mile out of chorlton in any given direction other than to didsbury and it's pretty rough. I've always thought of north Manchester as just loads and loads of houses though the people are nicer there.
Thats not a bad assessment actually, but you'd be surprised at the little pockets of pubs there are, however many of the real old school ones are closing, especially on Moston Lane as the community of Somalians and West Indians move in.

A rough guide to Manchester......People in the south of the city talk with more of a mancunian accent,are much more affluent,live in nice places like Chorlton and Didsbury but be carefull if you're a student (you may get mugged)....people in the North of the city are all skint and live in shit places like Moston and Blackley,live in back to back terraced houses,talk w'old fashioned Lancashire accents but are much nicer people! enjoy your stay!

glen quagmire said:

Nell lane massive in da house.

I used to have preconceived ideas about chorlton (that its dwellers were all hemp munching sandal wearing Guardian readers). However now I work nearby I love the place, especially Chorlton Green.....feel bad for never giving it a chance in the past! Love that bakery/buttie shop there, the horse and jockey and The Parlour..... thinking I might move that way n 2011....

unsworthblue said:
A rough guide to Manchester......People in the south of the city talk with more of a mancunian accent,are much more affluent,live in nice places like Chorlton and Didsbury but be carefull if you're a student (you may get mugged)....people in the North of the city are all skint and live in shit places like Moston and Blackley,live in back to back terraced houses,talk w'old fashioned Lancashire accents but are much nicer people! enjoy your stay!

Listen I lived in Cheetham Hill until I was 30 and them w'old Lancashire accents don't exist in places like C/Hill, Blackley and Moston.
The accents start going a bit yonnerish once you hit radcliffe or after Failsworth depending on if your travelling to Bury or Oldham there is probably an accent shift as you go up either of the Ashton roads. By the way Manchester stops after Heaton Park so who gives a fcuk what they talk like they are not in Manchester (NORTH)

i'd rather live in the Helmand Province, than north mcr !
:-)<br /><br />-- Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:21 am --<br /><br />
m7mcfc said:
unsworthblue said:

Listen I lived in Cheetham Hill until I was 30 and them w'old Lancashire accents don't exist in places like C/Hill, Blackley and Moston.
The accents start going a bit yonnerish once you hit radcliffe or after Failsworth depending on if your travelling to Bury or Oldham there is probably an accent shift as you go up either of the Ashton roads. By the way Manchester stops after Heaton Park so who gives a fcuk what they talk like they are not in Manchester (NORTH)
the strong twang in south mcr is due to families being moved to wythenshawe in the late 30's and after the war, from salford .ancoats and other inner city areas.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.