The north/south divide

glen quagmire said:
Pigeonho said:
I don't know what it is, but I can't stand South Manchester, purely because of the student population and how some people deem themselves better for coming from the South compared to the North. Its probably gone on for ages. An arguement I used to put too though was, 'well where in the City are 90% of the deaths by shootings?', that generally, as a rule, shut them up for 5 minutes. That was usually in retort to them saying North Manchester is rough, which admittedly parts of it are, but rarely do you hear of shootings in N.Manchester, compared to South at least. Yes there will be arguements that other crimes are more common in the North, and that maybe the case. As I say, its probably gone on for ages but my general opinion is I won't go to South Manchester unless its absolutely necessary.

Bejeeeezus! The thread was started tounge-in-cheek! Isn't all manchester wonderfull? So much better than neighbouring borough's.
Hahah! like I said in reply to Stonerblue mate, I know its ridiculous. I know people in work who slate N Manchester, absolutely slate it beyond all mercy. I was one of only a handful of people to work at our place who is from N Manchester, and so it became a bit of a defence mechanism to hate S Manchester in retaliation to the daily hammerings N Manc got. I've never seen the big hoo har about S Manchester really, its like London - overrated.

Pigeonho said:
glen quagmire said:
Bejeeeezus! The thread was started tounge-in-cheek! Isn't all manchester wonderfull? So much better than neighbouring borough's.
Hahah! like I said in reply to Stonerblue mate, I know its ridiculous. I know people in work who slate N Manchester, absolutely slate it beyond all mercy. I was one of only a handful of people to work at our place who is from N Manchester, and so it became a bit of a defence mechanism to hate S Manchester in retaliation to the daily hammerings N Manc got. I've never seen the big hoo har about S Manchester really, its like London - overrated.

nail inadvertently hit firmly on the head. south manchester people think its like london

r.soleofsalford said:
Pigeonho said:

nail inadvertently hit firmly on the head. south manchester people think it like london
Exactly. A lady in work moved from Chorlton to Blakeley about 7 years ago. She bought her Chorlton house years before that and made an absolute killing. She has mates in Blakeley and knew by selling her house and moving Northside, she'd make a hefty profit and be near her mates at the same time. All she heard was laughter, snidey comments and 'no-one moves from South to North', day in, day out. Its that attitude which fucks me off. She had the last laugh of course, as she bought a bigger house and ended up with thousands in the bank from the profit. She's never looked back.

Pigeonho said:
r.soleofsalford said:
nail inadvertently hit firmly on the head. south manchester people think it like london
Exactly. A lady in work moved from Chorlton to Blakeley about 7 years ago. She bought her Chorlton house years before that and made an absolute killing. She has mates in Blakeley and knew by selling her house and moving Northside, she'd make a hefty profit and be near her mates at the same time. All she heard was laughter, snidey comments and 'no-one moves from South to North', day in, day out. Its that attitude which fucks me off. She had the last laugh of course, as she bought a bigger house and ended up with thousands in the bank from the profit. She's never looked back.

That story is made up, as there are no ladies in north manchester!
;0)

glen quagmire said:
Pigeonho said:

That story is made up, as there are no ladies in north manchester!
;0)
See its attitudes like that whic.......

;-)

I don't think South Manchester has a chip on its shoulder. I think its more the fact that N Manc people feel the need to tell us how great it is up there so S Manc people feel they have to correct them.

1) South MCR is more wealthy

2) South MCR has what I would deem a 'Mancunian accent' rather than a lancashire one.

These are facts/

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
I don't think South Manchester has a chip on its shoulder. I think its more the fact that N Manc people feel the need to tell us how great it is up there so S Manc people feel they have to correct them.

1) South MCR is more wealthy

2) South MCR has what I would deem a 'Mancunian accent' rather than a lancashire one.

These are facts/
1) Correct, and people like to make it known too, (not you, people in general)

2) You don't get more manc than me mate, accent wise I mean, and i'm 33 years a Mostonite. I always think the S Manc accent has a slight twang to it, almost like a studenty intelligent sound to it, (I can't think of any other way to put it), and doesn't sound common a all. Ask someone South of Brum what their opinion of a Manc is, and the word 'common' is what you will hear 9 times out of 10. Not saying its great to be common, (however I like it), but thats the simplest way i can put it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.