The Official Ashes 09 Thread

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
You don't get victories for being a wicket away - we would have stuffed you at Old Trafford in the 3rd Test in 05 if it hadn't pissed down,and like I say,if you can't get Monty out on a wicket that was falling apart in near-darkness,then you simply don't deserve to win.
Your opening attack is about as scary as an under 11 team,and quite possibly your worst ever to feature in an Ashes series.
You wouldn't bowl out a blind school eleven for 51 with that wayward clown Johnson in the team.
Even Punter wouldn't back him,and he would bet on anything.
For you,Aussies,ze Ashes is over!

Its alllllllllllll about 05 for you lot. but never about 06/07. maybe you have forgotten the 5-0 smashing but we havent.

and by all means, write johnson off, write us all off, but it will be at your own peril.

Blue down under said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
You don't get victories for being a wicket away - we would have stuffed you at Old Trafford in the 3rd Test in 05 if it hadn't pissed down,and like I say,if you can't get Monty out on a wicket that was falling apart in near-darkness,then you simply don't deserve to win.
Your opening attack is about as scary as an under 11 team,and quite possibly your worst ever to feature in an Ashes series.
You wouldn't bowl out a blind school eleven for 51 with that wayward clown Johnson in the team.
Even Punter wouldn't back him,and he would bet on anything.
For you,Aussies,ze Ashes is over!

Its alllllllllllll about 05 for you lot. but never about 06/07. maybe you have forgotten the 5-0 smashing but we havent.

and by all means, write johnson off, write us all off, but it will be at your own peril.

Ok - we'll leave 05 behind and concentrate on the here and now.
And,last time I checked,we were 1-0 up.
And,unless I miscalculate badly,that will be enough.
Joking apart mate,I think that there will be a fair few twists and turns - some in your favour and some in ours,and the series is still very much in the balance.
This being England,the weather may well have a say yet again,but you must admit that the absence of Warney,Hayden,McGrath - even Gillespie,have left a bit of a void.
Just out of interest,would you bring Lee back if hes fit,and if so,who would you leave out?

If there was another day we could have been in some trouble there. Even match overall.

Johnson really hasn't matched his reputation but maybe Headingley where the ball will move around a bit more will suit him. At the moment he looks like a very poor replacement for the recently retired leading bowlers.

I have always said that fear is a big thing in cricket. England feared McGrath and Warne. They could bowl a team out in half a day. But the current Aussie attack doesn't worry us too much at all. That said, I think Flintoff is the one player we have that the Aussies are terrified of. He's an intimidating figure and seems to lift our team when he is firing in. When it is swinging around they don't like facing Anderson either.

Will we stick with Broad because of his batting? I didn't see any of today's play but from what I have seen of him over the past year or so he is total shite. Not intimidating in the slightest. Harmison would be a big gamble. If he starts like he did at Lords in 2005 he could win us the Ashes. But if he starts like in 2006 the Aussies will be licking their lips. Personally I'd bring him in, he'd have a thing or two to prove. One day of him and Flintoff firing on all cylinders would win us a test match.

I thought Johnson had moments where he looked world class again. If he is on form at Headingly, prepare for some carnage when he tears into our middle order. The Ozzies are getting their act together, chundering at our boys non-stop towards the end of the game. Game on.

Fried Onions said:
Off to Headingley next Saturday (yeah, missing Celtic), sat on the Western Terrace and looking forward to beer snakes, fancy dress and general hilarity and mischief.

Oh, yeah....and the cricket.

They stopped us from making beer snakes yesterday, still didn't stop us trying. The Aussies are pretty boring especially the group Merv Hughes has brought over. The average age is about 72.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.