The Official Ashes 09 Thread

bornblueegg said:
may I quote

Named in honour of Colin Bell actually,blueegg - I'll just add it to the multitude of your other errors.
Why do you singularly fail to see any fault in our captain,despite almost every major cricket expert highlighting them?
I can hardly be bothered listing yet again his numerous shortcomings,but if you honestly think that choosing to bat first in the most recent fiasco was inspired decision-making,then I despair.
Yes, the team as a whole did fail.
But who is ultimately responsible for motivating,leading and getting the best out of that team?
Strauss is a lousy captain,by any yardstick,and is only captain by default.
I fervently hope England win this test,and therefore the Ashes.
But if they manage to do so,it would be despite his lack of direction and not because of it.

The russian ballet dancer fails again

And what bearing exactly does your usual meaningless jibe have upon this test?
I was patently referring to the LAST match,(ie not this one - geddit)?
You know - the one we lost by an innings and plenty?
The one where we elected to bat in conditions that were a seamers paradise?
I have never questioned Strauss' personal performances, simply his captaincy - as has almost every major authority writing and commentating on cricket.
Broad and Swann,(along with the Oval groundsman),got England out of jail yesterday,and obviously as an England fan that is cause for celebration.
But it does not mean that we should blindly follow a captain purely and simply because he regains,(if we manage not to bugger things up from here),the Ashes.
Maybe one day you may actually post something that resembles an astute opinion backed up by facts,rather than the infantile glib comments which are your standard response.
I doubt it somehow,but I live in hope.

johnny crossan said:
bornblueegg said:
may I quote

Named in honour of Colin Bell actually,blueegg - I'll just add it to the multitude of your other errors.
Why do you singularly fail to see any fault in our captain,despite almost every major cricket expert highlighting them?
I can hardly be bothered listing yet again his numerous shortcomings,but if you honestly think that choosing to bat first in the most recent fiasco was inspired decision-making,then I despair.
But who is ultimately responsible for motivating,leading and getting the best out of that team?
But if they manage to do so,it would be despite his lack of direction and not because of it.

The decision to bat at Headingley was simply unavoidable, if he had not and then we had lost he really would have been hung out to dry. Our abysmal batting on the first day was absolutely nothing to do with Strauss and everything to do with the calibre of our other batsmen. Anybody who has played cricket knows that the captain's influence ends when you get the bat in your hand.

Today he was simply excellent as a captain and as our most reliable batsmen. I don't know who you'd pick to lead the team but whoever it is your dead wrong (IMO). We are on the verge of a great triumph and your response to this fantastic performance is to rubbish our best player who is also undoubtedly the best captain since Vaughan bowed out. You'd really rather have KP or Freddy or Colly - simply preposterous.

my apologies bornblueegg, it was another who posted this nonsense. I should have guessed who.

johnny crossan said:
johnny crossan said:
may I quote

my apologies bornblueegg, it was another who posted this drivel. I should have guessed who.

Oh look whats crawled out from under the pew!
Still vainly trying to flog the discredited theological snake-oil,are we?
Bluemoons fire and brimstone laughing stock.
Perhaps you could ask your imaginary friend who will win this test?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
johnny crossan said:
my apologies bornblueegg, it was another who posted this nonsense. I should have guessed who.

Oh look whats crawled out from under the pew!
Still vainly trying to flog the discredited theological snake-oil,are we?
Bluemoons fire and brimstone laughing stock.
Perhaps you could ask your imaginary friend who will win this test?

thumb_jacklaugh.gif

The first hour of todays play will pretty much decide the Ashes,in my opinion.
If England can add another 70/80 runs before lunch for the loss of only 2 wickets,then the Urn should be ours,as the tail can then have a dart and the wicket is only going to deteriorate further.
Anything around 350 will take some getting,providing the bowlers stick to line and length,and Freddie stays off the piss until we've actually won!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.