The official EDS and academy thread 2012/13

Status
Not open for further replies.
AucklandBlue said:
Results mean nothing at this level and nor should they.

I disagree with that. Building a winning mentality at all levels of the club should be an objective of the academy. The mental side of the game is as important as the physical/technical and I think it's important to write off losses and poor results as unimportant.

moomba said:
AucklandBlue said:

I disagree with that. Building a winning mentality at all levels of the club should be an objective of the academy. The mental side of the game is as important as the physical/technical and I think it's important to write off losses and poor results as unimportant.

But you don't have to "win" to have a "winning mentality" most of our youngsters are playing years above there age group. We are in a transitional period with our Academy, I know people will say "what again" but we need to give them more time before judging them or the Academy structure.
At one stage in the old "A & B" structure I remember watching a 24 year old called "Scott Thomas" play for our A team a decision should have been made by the age of 24 but this kind of thing was not uncommon. This season we have pushed quite a few through a little early IMO,but the results are hardly anything to worry about. I'm sure next season a lot of youngsters will benefit from the experiences of this season.

It is important to get a winning mentality at youth level, just look at Barcelona at youth level, they win everything plus they have a b side where they actually win pretty many games considering they Are youngsters playing against an proffesional side, with much older players

failsworthblueboy said:
moomba said:
AucklandBlue said:

But you don't have to "win" to have a "winning mentality"

Its pretty hard to develop a winning mentality if you're losing every week and not too bothered about it.

Basically, the worst thing you can do as an academy coach is to concentrate on the results of your team and underestimate the really significant parts of youth football. Its about developing and having fun (!) and, most importantly, playing well. You can hoof the ball and get results but, especially at City if they take it seriously, it does not teach you anything if you want to succeed against the very best at senior level.

Winner mentality does not come only because of winning and it is more of an individual asset I would say. Of course, you need winners in your team but results are inferior compared to developing technical and mental skills when you're at youth level.

moomba said:
failsworthblueboy said:
moomba said:

But you don't have to "win" to have a "winning mentality"

Its pretty hard to develop a winning mentality if you're losing every week and not too bothered about it.

I would agree with that but I'm sure the people we have (whether they are the right people is certainly debatable) do care and I'm absolutely sure that the players within our Academy care.

Versus Wigan,3PM.

CITY EDS XI: Lawlor, Wabara, Leigh, Huws, Plummer, Boyata, Rusnak, Razak, Guidetti, Lopes, Suarez

NQCitizen said:
FantasyIreland said:
Versus Wigan,3PM.

CITY EDS XI: Lawlor, Wabara, Leigh, Huws, Plummer, Boyata, Rusnak, Razak, Guidetti, Lopes, Suarez

Did Pozo get injured? That kid is class.

Yep,stretchered off last week,not sure how serious but believe it was 'only' soft tissue damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.