The only way to get around Platini's anti-City stance

Cobwebcat

Team supported
Manchester City
Yes, I know I've posted this on the Platini thread on the main board but I make no apology for a new thread here because this is really important and people seem to think everything will be ok and we will be fine.

------------------------------

Guys I think you all need to actually read the proposal because every "get out" that has been put forward will not be permitted.

The idea that we can sponsor ourselves etc is not allowed. We will not be able to get around this with obvious back door tricks. Neither can we loan the money to ourselves.

The rule is specifically aimed at us. Do you think UEFA don't know the loopholes? They have 9 months to close every one of them.

We will go from the most powerful club in the world back down to about 20th (see link)

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_ ... ball_clubs</a>

Clubs like United and Real Madrid are not in trouble in fact they are laughing. It's nothing to do with debt It's purely football generated turnover and being able to spend a percentage of that.

I've also seen some posters think we will be OK because we will have spent loads by then so don't have to buy anyone else. Wrong! We will always need to replace people and as the years go by we will not be allowed to get to the better players. Also wage cost count as expenditure. We are already paying over £100 million a year and players contracts have to be honoured over the next 5 years or whatever the contract lengths are.

In short we are fecked unless something can be done that's way different to the ideas put forward so far.

The only one I can come up with is that (luckily) The Premiership don't agree with UEFA and we can spend what we like for them. So we have to be prepared to go on spending and do as well as we can in the Prem but if/when we get into the top four we have to be accept that we will not be allowed in the CL.... but that's not the end of the story.

Other than to protect the status quo UEFA want to control our spending so we don't artificially inflate prices but if we ignore this, despite the ban, then UEFA's threat doesn't work. The clubs that need the CL reduce their spending but we don't and snap up the best players. Eventually UEFA will have to come up with something else.

The only way to win in the long term is to carry on spending before and after we get into the top 4 and accept in the short term we can't play in Europe.

sam221985 said:
How do you know City won't be self-sustaining or at least pretty close to it by 2012 anyway?

It's very unlikely. How long have Chelsea had and they still don't breakeven. Plus if you look at the turnover table we have too big a gap to bridge to catch the likes of Real Madrid who will be allowed as much debt as they want but can pay a lot more for players as their turnover is so much greater.

This ruling is brilliant for the rags but people seem to think they will be in trouble. It's us with the problem. You have to invest to get into the top 4 only to be punished when you get there for doing so.

If Uefa try & bring this in i can see a lot of the top clubs breaking away & forming their own competitions, the only reason the CL format was changed was because the top clubs threatened to break away.
These new Uefa rules would harm many clubs, not just us.

bluemoon32 said:
If Uefa try & bring this in i can see a lot of the top clubs breaking away & forming their own competitions, the only reason the CL format was changed was because the top clubs threatened to break away.

No it wouldn't. The opposite is true. The clubs at the top are protected by this rule. They will love it. Why do you think Chelsea want it?

Cobwebcat said:
bluemoon32 said:

No it wouldn't. The opposite is true. The clubs ast the top are protected by this rule. They will love it. Why do you think Chelsea want it?

Maybe i'm being thick but Chelsea don't have anything like the turnover of the major clubs, why would it help them ?

Cobwebcat said:
bluemoon32 said:

No it wouldn't. The opposite is true. The clubs at the top are protected by this rule. They will love it. Why do you think Chelsea want it?

sort it out pal your jus paranoid

is it me or if this seriously came to fruition, what would one of the most wealthy and powerful people, our owner the shiekhy have to say on this? Im pretty certain he would have words with Mr Plattini. Don't forget money talks, and im pretty sure they'd find a way around it.

Cobwebcat said:
Yes, I know I've posted this on the Platini thread on the main board but I make no apology for a new thread here because this is really important and people seem to think everything will be ok and we will be fine.

------------------------------

Guys I think you all need to actually read the proposal because every "get out" that has been put forward will not be permitted.

The idea that we can sponsor ourselves etc is not allowed. We will not be able to get around this with obvious back door tricks. Neither can we loan the money to ourselves.

The rule is specifically aimed at us. Do you think UEFA don't know the loopholes? They have 9 months to close every one of them.

We will go from the most powerful club in the world back down to about 20th (see link)

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_ ... ball_clubs</a>

Clubs like United and Real Madrid are not in trouble in fact they are laughing. It's nothing to do with debt It's purely football generated turnover and being able to spend a percentage of that.

I've also seen some posters think we will be OK because we will have spent loads by then so don't have to buy anyone else. Wrong! We will always need to replace people and as the years go by we will not be allowed to get to the better players. Also wage cost count as expenditure. We are already paying over £100 million a year and players contracts have to be honoured over the next 5 years or whatever the contract lengths are.

In short we are fecked unless something can be done that's way different to the ideas put forward so far.

The only one I can come up with is that (luckily) The Premiership don't agree with UEFA and we can spend what we like for them. So we have to be prepared to go on spending and do as well as we can in the Prem but if/when we get into the top four we have to be accept that we will not be allowed in the CL.... but that's not the end of the story.

Other than to protect the status quo UEFA want to control our spending so we don't artificially inflate prices but if we ignore this, despite the ban, then UEFA's threat doesn't work. The clubs that need the CL reduce their spending but we don't and snap up the best players. Eventually UEFA will have to come up with something else.

The only way to win in the long term is to carry on spending before and after we get into the top 4 and accept in the short term we can't play in Europe.

I addressed this point in a comment I posted on football fan cast
Khaldoon Al-Mubarak and Mark Hughes have both said on record................ their policy in the near future will revert to one of bringing players in at a much younger age and developing them within the club, which obviously involves a lot less financial outlay and in the first instance a smaller wage bill, and one that will ultimately stabilise when these young players come to make up the majority of the squad in years to come. the beginnings of this new strategy can already be seen in fact with the acquisitions of highly-rated teenagers such as Nils Zander, Jeremy Helan who have already joined and more recently Danijel Aleksic and Pernao who are in the process of being signed up.

We will hire the best accountants the best legal eagles - and we will get around this - its a stupid rule and we will be fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.