The PA guy again

Didsbury Dave said:
SteSteez said:
IUmbro Playlist is alright at halftime, thats about it, again use the screens, let people know its the playlist, no need to give us an essay on what the songs are and whos picked it.

I love music.

But when I want to listen to it I put it on at home or in my car and sit and listen.

Why do people want music at a football game?

I get irritated by this, this attitude that badly-reproduced tinny pop songs somehow brighten everyone's mood.

I mean you go on holiday and they have to play music round the pool all day at some places. Why?

I've said it before in this thread. If I want music I'll go to a concert or a club, or put it on at home. If I go and see Oasis live they don't put half an hour of football highlights on between the support act and them, do they?

Agreed. If I want to spend 15 minutes shouting into someone's ear without them understanding a word I'm saying I'll go and visit my Gran.

Gary James said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I've said it before in this thread. If I want music I'll go to a concert or a club, or put it on at home. If I go and see Oasis live they don't put half an hour of football highlights on between the support act and them, do they?

I agree. I was thinking just before the players came out before the Derby on Saturday about the atmosphere at past derbies at that point, and for me the best pre-match Derby atmosphere in recent years was at the last Maine Rd derby. That day the PA system broke down shortly before kick off and so the stadium PA was silent. As a result the atmosphere was phenomenal as City fans (and to be fair utd) made the type of pre-match noise we used to make all the time.

Years before, in the old Kippax the PA system was hardly ever heard, and fans used to sing 'Bring On The Champions' (even in the 80s we sang that as the anticipation built) and other chants in anticipation of the game.

Sometimes chanting has been killed off by the PA system.

I know some games tend not to attract as much singing as others and so a dead stadium perhaps is not so attractive, but next derby day (or even pre Villa and Spurs) I'd switch the PA off before the players come out. I'd trust the fans to make the noise for the biggest games.

Agree with all that.

Other "prematch songs" which have died out since the Kippax Days are classics like "Who the fucking hell are you?" as the opposition team ran out.

Charlton 85 was a cracking example - 50,000 voices belting that one out definitely helped our promotion charge that day.

Another memory I have is that if you sat elsewhere in the ground, you could tell the City team was coming out because the front, middle section of the Kippax would start cheering first.

Prestwich_Blue said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
I would ban the lot of them. Every PA announcer.

They've always been shit. Vince 'Bluemoon - we're staying up' Miller, that bald rag, the bloke at COMS who used to try to use a different phrase to announce every player (at number 1 it's David James, he's your number 2, Michael Tarnat, wearing number 3, Franny Lee, he's got number four on his back, it's Coco the clown, etc, etc, etc, - fuck off!), some bald bloke from Key103 who used to talk some God awful, wedding DJ shite on the pitch at half time.

Fuck them all off.

Don't need an of it apart from someone giving out the teams and the half time results.

Not bother about clapping some new 13 year old kid that no-one cares about. Not bothered about hearing a competition winner say 'it's brilliant' not bothered about what some kid in the stand thinks the half time result will be, not bothered about a commenary on some clowns kicking a ball through a hoop.

And not bothered about hearing what the attendance is.

And especially not a fan of all the nobheads who hear "The crowd is XXXXX, thanks for your magnificent support" and give themselves a big fucking round of applause. Aren't we fucking great for turning up a game. Just like every fucking week. What the fuck are you clappping?

Bollocks to the lot of it!

-- Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:08 pm --

Actually, I wouldn't mind Tony "Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnn one" "Take your time, son" "There's Roberto's lovely lady" "Oh, what a knowledgable crowd here at the Lakeside" "Nurse, what day is it?" Green

That's my vote you've got JMA. In addition, 15 minutes before kick-off I would stop serving in the catering outlets, switch the TVs off and get the police to baton charge everyone off the concourse into their seats.

agre with stopping serving food aswell. load of rubbish. if you want a meal go to a restaurant.

Didsbury Dave said:
SteSteez said:
IUmbro Playlist is alright at halftime, thats about it, again use the screens, let people know its the playlist, no need to give us an essay on what the songs are and whos picked it.

I love music.

But when I want to listen to it I put it on at home or in my car and sit and listen.

Why do people want music at a football game?

I get irritated by this, this attitude that badly-reproduced tinny pop songs somehow brighten everyone's mood.

I mean you go on holiday and they have to play music round the pool all day at some places. Why?

Get Donald to do the PA announcements. The whole team will be 'fingie' but you'll be guaranteed some entertaining chants to whip the crowd up.

When i took in a San Francisco giants baseball game once they had a fan known as 'cheery pumpkin' who donned a rather large pumpkin outfit and whipped the crowd into a frenzy, i can see Donald having the same effect wearing some comedy farahs...or just bring his own!

all it needs is:

"welcome to the city of manchester stadium.

the team news is as follows, for the visitors, arsenal, 1. j blog, 2. .......

the starting xi for manchester city today is as follows......"

"the half time scores are...."

"the half time draw tickets results are..."

"the players are now coming out for the 2nd half"

"motm"

"full time scores"

none of this rubbish going on for announcements. the tevez pfa player of the month award had that much build up i thought he was going to say he had got player of the year.

We could go for one of those retro boards they used to have on the scoreboard end, where lads put cards in with the half time scores. Keep the PA off then.

They didn't even give it him at the game did they? I am sure once the big drawn out announcement had finished Tevez was stood near the centre circle, no point even bringing it up if there is no presentation.

coulsonblue said:
all it needs is:

"welcome to the city of manchester stadium.

the team news is as follows, for the visitors, arsenal, 1. j blog, 2. .......

the starting xi for manchester city today is as follows......"

"the half time scores are...."

"the half time draw tickets results are..."

"the players are now coming out for the 2nd half"

"motm"

"full time scores"

none of this rubbish going on for announcements. the tevez pfa player of the month award had that much build up i thought he was going to say he had got player of the year.

Didsbury Dave said:
We could go for one of those retro boards they used to have on the scoreboard end, where lads put cards in with the half time scores. Keep the PA off then.

That was the north stand at maine road for the young uns who are trying to fathom it out.

And i'd make it compulsory that they'd have to don a white coat as well to do it.

1_barry_conlon said:
Didsbury Dave said:

That was the north stand at maine road for the young uns who are trying to fathom it out.

And i'd make it compulsory that they'd have to don a white coat as well to do it.

It's actually before my time, Barry, but I remember them at other grounds.

Remeber the nice digital scoreboard on the North Stand?

It seemed to be the height of big-club sophistication when I first started going in the late 70s.

Am I right in remembering it worked for about two years then didn't work for about 20 years?

Might be one for Sir Gary James, that one.

Didsbury Dave said:
1_barry_conlon said:

It's actually before my time, Barry, but I remember them at other grounds.

Remeber the nice digital scoreboard on the North Stand?

It seemed to be the height of big-club sophistication when I first started going in the late 70s.

Am I right in remembering it worked for about two years then didn't work for about 20 years?

Might be one for Sir Gary James, that one.

It was always broke but then we went really hi-tech with the advent of the 'greenalls' scoreboard in the kippax/platt lane corner.

Stick your 50ft plasmas, this was cutting edge.

Funnilly enough the scoreboard end was where i saw my first city game from. Tottenham at home, Chivers, Gilzean and big Pat in goal. I can smell the winter green from here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.