The performance last night...

lastmanback said:
BillyShears said:
He could coach the players to be better than the sum of their parts.

He could have in the last three months found a formula to make our midfield at least tread water rather than going backwards.

He could teach the players to play with some tempo from the first whistle.

But keep ignoring my point and keep arguing an altogether separate one.
my point exactly, how can certain managers get these players to
out play our players. who i think are well better than these

hull=, Hunt, Mouyokolo, Boateng
wigan= McCarthy, Thomas, Diame, Scharner
sunderland= Malbranque , Meyler, Richardson, Campbell
stoke= Lawrence , Whelan, Diao , Delap
Because, as already stated, we play a 4-4-2 with out and out wingers and an anchorman. It leaves one slow central midfielder up against a group of 2,3 or even 4, if their wide players took in (which they do).

Look at Stoke against us...

----------Lawrence---- Whelan---- Diao----Delap--------

Bellamy------------------Vieira--------------SWP/Johno

------------------------ De Jong--------------------------

If all their players tuck in, our central midfielder has one hell of a job on his hands, and for me, it's the main reason we struggle against compact, battling teams. We also don't have the personel to keep the ball for prolonged periods.

BillyShears said:
Very valid points there however, performances are important because we're coming up to a run of very tough games against teams who have the quality to expose any team who doesn't start games with the right team selection, attitude and tempo.

This will be moot of course if we can grind out a result against Spurs, the rags, and Villa. However, there is also the potential for us to be as devoid of any real ideas or attacking threat as we were against Everton, which will be a very poor show.

Or we could get a result as we did away at Chelsea or home to the rags. It is equally valid, if you're saying tactics and mindset are responsible for results like Everton to suggest that the same tactics and mindset are responsible for the good results (including the 1.93 or whatever per game).

It's wrong IMO to say that the way we play won't work against higher quality teams.

first half was dire, only johnson and tevez making any sort of contribution.

bobby manc must of shoved a rocket up their arses at HT,

came out on the attack from the off, played alot better, bellamy came on and changed the game,

overall it was a good performance, but not amazing, nothing more than that.

moomba said:
BillyShears said:
Very valid points there however, performances are important because we're coming up to a run of very tough games against teams who have the quality to expose any team who doesn't start games with the right team selection, attitude and tempo.

This will be moot of course if we can grind out a result against Spurs, the rags, and Villa. However, there is also the potential for us to be as devoid of any real ideas or attacking threat as we were against Everton, which will be a very poor show.

Or we could get a result as we did away at Chelsea or home to the rags. It is equally valid, if you're saying tactics and mindset are responsible for results like Everton to suggest that the same tactics and mindset are responsible for the good results (including the 1.93 or whatever per game).

It's wrong IMO to say that the way we play won't work against higher quality teams.

I'm simply looking at performances in the last six weeks and suggesting that we've struggled to play with tempo and the right attitude in the first 45 minutes of quite a few games, and it has cost us points and we've come unstuck. Stats will mask this to some extent, and you're right that we've played well against some very very good teams this season.

Anyway, it's all moot. I take your point, I've made mine. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say...

Has no one else thought the performance last night and last few games is the result of the players and not the manager?

Managers only affect the game by a small percent, the rest is up to how the players perform.

lastmanback said:
hull=, Hunt, Mouyokolo, Boateng
wigan= McCarthy, Thomas, Diame, Scharner
sunderland= Malbranque , Meyler, Richardson, Campbell
stoke= Lawrence , Whelan, Diao , Delap

Wouldn't say Wigan midfield dominated ours (we had around 60% possession).

Also as bad as we were first half against Sunderland we dominated the second.

Can't remember Hull and I'll give you Stoke.

Immaculate Pasta said:
Has no one else thought the performance last night and last few games is the result of the players and not the manager?

Managers only affect the game by a small percent, the rest is up to how the players perform.

Ha ha ha. I wish Mark Hughes had had the benefit of some of that kind of logic...;- )

Seriously though, I think what irks me is that they seem to go in at half time, get bollocked, then come out with the right attitude...

Maybe Mancini should give his half time team talks before kick off....

Imagine.

"Where's the tempo? The movement we worked on in training this week?"

"Boss, we've not kicked a ball yet?"

"I don't fucking care! Get out there and play like you mean it, and not like a bunch of mercenaries only here for the cash!"

BillyShears said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

Ha ha ha. I wish Mark Hughes had had the benefit of some of that kind of logic...;- )

Seriously though, I think what irks me is that they seem to go in at half time, get bollocked, then come out with the right attitude...

Imagine.

"I don't fucking care! Get out there and play like you mean it, and not like a bunch of mercenaries only here for the cash!"

Please don't kid yourself that the performances under Mark Hughes were better than they are now. Do you really beleive that?

Freestyler said:
first half was dire, only johnson and tevez making any sort of contribution.

bobby manc must of shoved a rocket up their arses at HT,

came out on the attack from the off, played alot better, bellamy came on and changed the game,

overall it was a good performance, but not amazing, nothing more than that.
I thought they had had a rocket when I saw Mancini re-appear in the technical zone watching Bellars warm up during half-time. He was only in the dressing room at ht for about 5 minutes.

Wigan's time-wasting tactics didn't help the flow of the game. every time we started to press them back they got the trainer on

BillyShears said:
Immaculate Pasta said:

Imagine.

errr...Mark Hughes bought these players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.