The Post Transfer Deadline Day (positive) Thread

No pal, we can sign a "free agent" or player under no contract, but can only play him in the Premier league if we haven't named our full squad and there's a remaining place.

Cheers still I've heard a rumour that the gooners may have done something very dodgy in not selling Alexis to us and that his agent may be taking things further. Still the average age of our squad is now just over 25.

We never had enough FFP leeway to sort every position. We do however have several players who can play in more than one position.

I could have selected you or any other of the people who have quoted FFP as making our lives impossible.

In the 3 years following our first league win, we spent more than Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

United spent 37 million more. Chelsea 100 million more. So while FFP did curtail our extremely lavish spending we were certainly not spending peanuts, we just spent badly.

So while FFP did curtail our extremely lavish spending we were certainly not spending peanuts, we just spent badly.
Why do you want to "rubbish" our transfers in nearly every post ? All clubs/managers buy badly at some point or other, we're far from unique.

We've clearly made some brilliant signings over the last few seasons, Jesus, KdB, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva to name a few.

You don't need to buy the latest superstar, or the former superstar (as we often used to) to be very good, you need to buy the next superstar, which we may well have been doing.

This summer has seen excellent business for me, both in and out, and has set us up with a quality squad, that is young, and could be together a long time without major surgery.

If Pep decides to go with the formation and personnel he used for the second half of last season with de bruyne and silva behind two out and out wingers ahead of them, with the new additions especially in goal and full-back positions the team should win the league. Last season after the 4-0 defeat to everton where pep played a diamond 4-4-2, he decided to switch to 4-3-3 with sane and sterling on the wings against spurs and even though the match ended a draw, it could and should've been 4-5 more goals to the team. He stuck with that formation for the rest of the season and lost only 3 of the last 24 games(to chelsea, arsenal and monaco). Don't forget this was a team that had clichy and at times zaba/sagna at full backs positions and bravo in goal. Both sane and especially sterling got overplayed at times which affected some of their performances but the team going forward was unstoppable for the majority of games during the second half of the season. With the addition of b.silva and jesus a season wiser, I don't know how anyone can be anything less than optimistic for the season.

Yes a Kompany injury will be an issue but so would be the case for the other top sides losing their best defender. Stones and Otamendi I still don't trust as a partnership but should hopefully be better this season.

Ederson
Walker Kompany Otamendi Mendy
De bruyne Fern/yaya Silva
Sterling Jesus Sane

This would be my first team for the majority of the season with aguero coming in for jesus or one of the wingers and jesus being shifted to the wings if needs be(i.e lack of form/injury). I'm not yet convinced with b.silva as a winger/inside forward as I feel though he can beat players with his quick feet, he lacks the pace that's often needed to get away from defenders on the outside therefore his play tends to become a bit predictable where he cuts in a lot. In sane and sterling you have players who can cause problems one on one going either side and also have the pace to beat them which is needed against packed defences. In fact I would use de-bruyne there before bernardo even though he is still more than capable of playing there. Sterling and jesus can both occupy any of the forward positions so it won't be lacking cover. Gundogan, b.silva will rotate the no8 positions and gundogan could even do a job in the sitting role. This team will will the league and another trophy barring any or few major injuries and if pep doesn't mess with the formation and personnel too much like he often did last season.
Not sure how anyone can leave Aguero out of a first choice team.

Why do you want to "rubbish" our transfers in nearly every post ? All clubs/managers buy badly at some point or other, we're far from unique.

We've clearly made some brilliant signings over the last few seasons, Jesus, KdB, Sterling, Sane, Bernardo Silva to name a few.

You don't need to buy the latest superstar, or the former superstar (as we often used to) to be very good, you need to buy the next superstar, which we may well have been doing.

This summer has seen excellent business for me, both in and out, and has set us up with a quality squad, that is young, and could be together a long time without major surgery.
Not rubbishing our transfers, I just get so fed up hearing that we were stopped in our tracks by FFP. The facts are we carried on spending plenty of money.

Pretty delighted with our transfer business tbh. I know it will sound like the standard thing to say when you miss out on a player, but I genuinely didn't want Sanchez and was pretty consistent in saying that the whole time, I still have no idea where he was going to play and he's not getting any younger. Even now we've been forcing poor Sane to play as the worlds worst wingback to shoehorn Aguero and Jesus into the team at the same time, so fuck knows what we'd look like with yet another striker who wants to play all the time. If missing out on him means playing less 352 then that's great news as far as I'm concerned. As for Johnny Evans, just thank fuck that that didn't happen, I'd far rather have Mangala than that shit show, the only reason I could see for it was him being HG, but even that isn't a particularly big deal considering we signed Walker and kept hold of Delph.

The real business was done early and emphatically well. Mendy, Danilo and Walker has turned out biggest weakness into the best in the league, while Ederson is a fantastic addition. Bernardo is just the icing on the cake. Even as a kid with Benfica B he looked like a potential Ballon D'Or winner and he has gone from strength to strength. £43m, in this market, is probably the bargain of the summer, only £3m more than Oxlade Chamberlain, which is pretty hilarious.

Overall, delighted. We've signed the players we needed, left the squad with a bit of room for the kids to get a chance and hugely improved the overall age of the team. The only real weakness in the squad is maybe a top quality young centerback, but there really aren't many of them about. Maybe John Stones can become that, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope tbh. Maybe a young pivot as well, as Yaya isn't getting any younger and Fern is a bit worrying of late.

Good post, agree with every word.

I'm not happy with how the end of the window but we have to look at the positives.

We didn't get Evans which is great. Mangala gets some game time, maybe he can even turn it around. Foden and Diaz should get more game time. Our attackers are happy and will always play more.

Next summer we should go all out for CB and DM.

Problem is we bought who we could afford to under ffp, not who we wanted.

After our league win we bought
Garcia 18.18
Nastacic 13.68
Rodwell 13.50
Siclair 7.02
Maicon 3.38

United in the same year spent
Van Persie 27.63
Kagawa 14.40
Zaha 10.58
Henriquez 4.95
Buttner 4.50
Powell 6.75

So despite being under FFP we spent only marginally less than United. And we certainly could have bought Van Persie instead of say Nastacic and Rodwell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.