The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Andy Schleck has retired at aged 29. Pretty sad really, at his best he made climbing mountains looks a doodle (I know there may have been outside reasons for that), with a very fluid style on the bike. It seems odd to say it but really he's walking away with a Palmares that doesn't do his ability justice. 1 tour win (all be it he doesn't feel in himself that he won that race) and three GT second places is something most riders would give anything for, plus he was consistent in the Ardennes classics winning LBL, but to have never stood on the top step of the podium at any stage race, be it one week or three weeks, in his career is a poor return for his talents. In fact outside the Grand Tours he never really did anything at all.

He'll be remembered though for his 2011 Gallibier attack and the way he climbed Port De Balles after dropping his chain, and they're not a bad legacy. He was a moaner though ;-)

Shands said:
Andy Schleck has retired at aged 29. Pretty sad really, at his best he made climbing mountains looks a doodle (I know there may have been outside reasons for that), with a very fluid style on the bike. It seems odd to say it but really he's walking away with a Palmares that doesn't do his ability justice. 1 tour win (all be it he doesn't feel in himself that he won that race) and three GT second places is something most riders would give anything for, plus he was consistent in the Ardennes classics winning LBL, but to have never stood on the top step of the podium at any stage race, be it one week or three weeks, in his career is a poor return for his talents. In fact outside the Grand Tours he never really did anything at all.

He'll be remembered though for his 2011 Gallibier attack and the way he climbed Port De Balles after dropping his chain, and they're not a bad legacy. He was a moaner though ;-)

Made me laugh when he complained about cuddles riding away from him on a downhill. Triffic rider when things (and gear) were going for him but always seemed to have the mental toughness of a blancmanche.

Shands said:
Reading this morning that Owain Doull is set to sign for Europcar. If that goes through then next season is going to be a bumper year for Brits at World Tour and Pro-Conti level. Some of these aren't confirmed yet, but it's looking like:

SKY: Wiggins; Froome; Thomas; Kennaugh; Stannard; Rowe; Swift; Fenn; Edmonson
ORICA: A Yates; S Yates; Blythe
OPQS: Cavendish
MOVISTAR: Dowsett
EUROPCAR: Doull
BORA (Formerly NetApp): Thwaites
MTN: Cummings
CAJA RUAL: Carthy

Ireland's not doing bad either with Martin, Roche, Deignan and Bennet. Exciting times.

Lombardy tomorrow afternoon, can Purito do it again?

Im really pleased Sky have kept a solid British base to the squad and with Deignan and Roche its over a third Brit Isles born.

Rascal said:
Shands said:
Reading this morning that Owain Doull is set to sign for Europcar. If that goes through then next season is going to be a bumper year for Brits at World Tour and Pro-Conti level. Some of these aren't confirmed yet, but it's looking like:

SKY: Wiggins; Froome; Thomas; Kennaugh; Stannard; Rowe; Swift; Fenn; Edmonson
ORICA: A Yates; S Yates; Blythe
OPQS: Cavendish
MOVISTAR: Dowsett
EUROPCAR: Doull
BORA (Formerly NetApp): Thwaites
MTN: Cummings
CAJA RUAL: Carthy

Ireland's not doing bad either with Martin, Roche, Deignan and Bennet. Exciting times.

Lombardy tomorrow afternoon, can Purito do it again?

Im really pleased Sky have kept a solid British base to the squad and with Deignan and Roche its over a third Brit Isles born.

I agree Rasc, would have liked them to have gone after the Yates brothers too.

On Andy Schleck, thought he was going to be a multiple GT winner, especially if he worked on his TT, but injuries and allegedly having to stop doping, meant he never lived up to that potential. Seems likely he was juiced up on the tour he was given, when Alberto was kicked out controversially. I wont miss him much, was never a favourite of mine

*wipes off dust*

New season gets under way in the next couple of days with Tour De San Luis and Tour Down Under :)

Here's a selection of new kits.

Cannondale-Garmin

C15_CGPC_Camp_9404-630x420.jpg

FDJ

2015-FDJ-cycling-jersey-bib-shorts-kit-comfortable-tight-bicicleta-Bike-Wear-Cycling-Clothing-Free-ship.jpg

Lotto-Jumbo formerly Belkin

2015-Team-LOTTO-JUMBO-Cycling-Jersey-Yellow.jpg

...And a fun video of Matt Stephens interviewing Contador out on the road.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vya4EgIX4lw[/video]

On bike footage from Tour Down Under crash:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJy5Ipty5g[/video]

1st proper mountain test of the season tomorrow in Andalucia. It's the climb Horner comprehensively dropped everyone on in the 2013 Vuelta, be interesting to see how tomorrow compares.

Tomorrow should be fun. Not sure too much can be made of the Froome/Contador clash as Froome is unlikely be anywhere near peak level yet. However, I expect the SKY train to make its first appearance of the season tomorrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.