The Pro Road Cycling Thread

Anybody watching the Volta? It has been very intense.

Day one, the break away made it all the way to the finish and had nearly 3 minutes on the favorites. First time on a stage race that the break was successful since 1990 Tour de France. Looked nearly insurmountable for such a short race that didn't have a ton of big mountains. But over the next few days, the favorites pushed the pace very hard. It totally wore down the leaders who were all on weaker teams and not used to controlling races. It has made for some really great racing.

On stage 3, TeeJay crashed, went over a guard rail and rolled down an embankment into some bushes several feet below. He was ok, but shaken up and lost 16 minutes on the leaders. Froome has been fighting a chest cold for a few weeks and just keeps popping under the intensity. But Porte has looked really strong. Valverde is riding great but crashed at the wrong time on stage 3 and it has cost him being in the leaders jersey.

I haven't watched today's stage 5 yet, but I'm excited to see what happens.

Pokes28 said:

Day one, the break away made it all the way to the finish and had nearly 3 minutes on the favorites. First time on a stage race that the break was successful since 1990 Tour de France. Looked nearly insurmountable for such a short race that didn't have a ton of big mountains. But over the next few days, the favorites pushed the pace very hard. It totally wore down the leaders who were all on weaker teams and not used to controlling races. It has made for some really great racing.

On stage 3, TeeJay crashed, went over a guard rail and rolled down an embankment into some bushes several feet below. He was ok, but shaken up and lost 16 minutes on the leaders. Froome has been fighting a chest cold for a few weeks and just keeps popping under the intensity. But Porte has looked really strong. Valverde is riding great but crashed at the wrong time on stage 3 and it has cost him being in the leaders jersey.

Fabulous race so far. So much action. Still 2 days to go too and loads to play for, especially if its windy tomoz.

Great to see G win E3 too, he was magnificent

Rascal said:
Pokes28 said:

Fabulous race so far. So much action. Still 2 days to go too and loads to play for, especially if its windy tomoz.

Great to see G win E3 too, he was magnificent

Wasn't it just?!
I'm well chuffed for him. The likes of him, Pete Kennaugh & Stannard deserve their success after years of toiling in support of Wiggins, Froome etc. If I was a better *edit* betting man I'd be looking at the odds of Thomas securing a top 3 finish for Paris Roubaix - his form at the moment is electric, he just seems so powerful. I certainly expect him to finish well ahead of Wiggo and I hope on the day Sky get behind whoever is looking best placed rather than sticking with a plan for Wiggo at all costs because it is his grand farewell.

I'm actually starting to veer away from stage races in favour of the single day events - Spring becoming the most exciting part of the cycling season.
Btw, you given up on the cycling tweets mate?

chesterbells said:
Btw, you given up on the cycling tweets mate?

I messed my twitter up because im a stupid technophobe but will look back into it pal :)

The classics are fantastic. But they don't have a long enough season. I've been intrigued by Sagan. He looks bigger this year and it appears to have slowed him down a bit. Gutted for Boonen. Great classics rider who won't get to ride the great ones.

The day of Paris-Roubaix I will be in Paris for the marathon that same day. Does anybody know if there is a good sports bar to watch it? I probably won't be wanting to walk around too terribly much so kicking back, and enjoying my favorite cobbled classic sounds like a great way to recover.

Pokes28 said:
The classics are fantastic. But they don't have a long enough season. I've been intrigued by Sagan. He looks bigger this year and it appears to have slowed him down a bit. Gutted for Boonen. Great classics rider who won't get to ride the great ones.

The day of Paris-Roubaix I will be in Paris for the marathon that same day. Does anybody know if there is a good sports bar to watch it? I probably won't be wanting to walk around too terribly much so kicking back, and enjoying my favorite cobbled classic sounds like a great way to recover.

Sounds like a memorable day, good luck.

Cobbled riding is certainly one type of cycling I'm happy to watch rather than try myself.
Isnt that derby day too?

Big week ahead! Flanders on Sunday with hopefully a well deserved win for G, (though my money is going on Vanmarcke). Basque Country starts on Monday with a climbing heavy route that should bring plenty of action and then Paris Roubaix just to round things off :)

The one day races really have been brilliant so far this year, Omloop, Strade Bianche, E3 and Gent Wevelgem were all fantastic. The big players haven't really got going on the stage racing side of thing, though those two climbing days in Andalucia were spectacular. Once the Giro comes around though things should kick into gear :)

Sky are absolutely flying across the board, you must be beaming like a cheshire cat Rascal!

Shands said:
Big week ahead! Flanders on Sunday with hopefully a well deserved win for G, (though my money is going on Vanmarcke). Basque Country starts on Monday with a climbing heavy route that should bring plenty of action and then Paris Roubaix just to round things off :)

The one day races really have been brilliant so far this year, Omloop, Strade Bianche, E3 and Gent Wevelgem were all fantastic. The big players haven't really got going on the stage racing side of thing, though those two climbing days in Andalucia were spectacular. Once the Giro comes around though things should kick into gear :)

Sky are absolutely flying across the board, you must be beaming like a cheshire cat Rascal!

I have enjoyed the season so far. Highlight being Gs win of course. But i am missing my EBH :(

De Panne has been an interesting race too and obviously it was fantastic to see Brad smash the TT.

Think i may have a few quid on Porte for the Giro

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.