The Same Old Traps

I'll say this for people who allow themselves to be dictated by stats alone.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damn ... statistics</a>

BillyShears said:
Cobwebcat said:
My trouble is that I'm a stats geek and part-time Footall statitician. I don't trust my own perceptions let alone others.

Forums are for debate and I make a rod for my own back because I should know that people believe what they like even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Certain things can be, and have been, caluclated by academics and mathematicians. Occassionally I read an opinion that I know not to be true like "teams often play better with ten men" it's not true but lots of people still say it. It makes me more mad than it should ;-)

The most annoying thing to me is posters that really put themselves forward as a cut above in the knowledge steaks and yet are consistently wrong. I'm afraid Didsbury Dave is a prime example...full of self importance but proveably incorrect more times than most. It's not the negativity... I would be the same if he were being positive but still wrong. However it is a lot easier to be negative in my opinion..people like complaining more than they do praising (and that's measureable too!)

You mention you would give Mancini 7/10. I would give him a higher mark because I can see figures showing how good he is but people will generally ignore them because it doesn't fit what they believe.

If we just take Mancini, there are only a handfull of managers better, but there are a few admittedly. Since he's taken over this is what I've seen from people that don't believe we should carry on with him:

"Mancini is not the right appointment he will never win us a trophy"

Mancini wins the FA Cup.

"OK so he won a cup but he didn't get us into the Chamions League we finished 5th"

Mancini gets us into the Champions League

"Yeah but we need to win the Premiership with our funds we've got no chance with Mancini in charge"

Mancini wins the Premiership

The same people are back now saying "Mancini will never do well in Europe he never has"

You can perhaps see my frustration. I'm no happy clapper and City have made lots of errors but appointing Mancini wasn't one of them. If we were to fire him at the moment it would be a mistake and I'd criticise City for it. At the moment I don't think we will so I argue with the people who think we should.

I shouldn't bother though I've only ever changed my own incorrect perceptions with stats never another posters. Football is very emotive, it's the modern day religion, and it doesn't matter how many skulls you show someone if they want to believe God created man and earth in 7 days.

I'll look out for Goo's posts in future. Not because he is being positive but because I can see that many of his points are proveably correct in the same way that many of DD's are nonsense (though he is perfectly entitled to believe them)

You seem to be holding yourself up as the arbiter of right and wrong simply because your a "a stats geek and part-time Footall statitician". I was going to reply your post bit by bit until i realised it was just a barely disguised attempt to out Dave, Dave, for which it has failed miserably because you simply cannot with a straight face say "The most annoying thing to me is posters that really put themselves forward as a cut above in the knowledge steaks and yet are consistently wrong" when right and wrong in football is wildly subjective.

Before you start bashing me round the head with websites and statistics which somehow "prove" Mancini's abilities, I'll let you know I think he's a top coach who has a fantastic statistical record which will never ever take into account Calciopoli and it's effect on the Serie A.

The absolute key to the "how good is Mancini?" question is whether your asking about him as a coach or him as a manager. As a coach he has proven that he has the qualities to fashion winning teams. As a manager he has proven he has the qualities to piss off and alienate his players. I think you and quite a few others seem to think as long as he does the former, the latter is irrelevant. However my own personal experiences of talking with players or people in and around football is that if you don't have the qualities to man manage your players, your coaching skills won't have the consistent impact required so you have to either constantly change your squad of players, or constantly change clubs.

It's an argument about Mancini that has done the rounds since his very early days at the club. This is incredibly old news now but gives an insight into how little empathy Mancini has for his players. When City played in a Europe a few years ago a certain player's wife was pregnant and due to go into labour the night of the game. The player requested via Mancini's assistant that he be allowed to stay back in the UK. Mancini told him in no uncertain terms that he had to travel, and then proceeded to not even pick the player in the match day squad. The player no longer plays for City not because City wanted to sell him, but because he privately requested and transfer and was granted it.

I agree with a lot of that actually but I will always use objective statistics over "what people reckon" or knee jerk reactions and I believe a lot of that is going on right now as we are playing poorly

I can't comment on what individual Managers are like behind the scenes. I used to hate my old Manager but he got results. I'm sure there are many players with tales to tell re Wenger or Bacon. I look at the results overtime and they help me to make my mind up. I've long since realised they won't change other's minds as I've said and that's up to them. I take your point onboard though and it must be a factor. If what you say is true then I think that will eventually show up in the overall performance of the team and I'll probably change my mind but that's not happened yet.

DD just winds me up.

-- Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:07 pm --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I'll say this for people who allow themselves to be dictated by stats alone.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damn ... statistics</a>

So would I but I would also say to those who ignore all of them....have a think and then make your mind up.

Moneyball counted for something though it wasn't the whole answer of course.

Cobwebcat said:
I agree with a lot of that actually but I will always use objective statistics over "what people reckon" or knee jerk reactions and I believe a lot of that is going on right now as we are playing poorly

Raw statistics aren't objective because they simply cannot take into account the nuances of football. Yaya Toure's passing statistics are far better than David Silva's - but that doesn't make Yaya a better passer of the ball. Dzeko's goals per minutes ratio is the best of all our forwards this season, doesn't make him our best forward. Statistics can be a pointer for efficiency and can help outline a situation, but to rely on stats whilst dismissing "what people reckon" as knee jerk reactions because they don't suit your argument is no different than someone ignoring stats completely because they don't suit that person's argument.

I can't comment on what individual Managers are like behind the scenes. I used to hate my old Manager but he got results. I'm sure there are many players with tales to tell re Wenger or Bacon. I look at the results overtime and they help me to make my mind up. I've long since realised they won't change other's minds as I've said and that's up to them. I take your point onboard though and it must be a factor. If what you say is true then I think that will eventually show up in the overall performance of the team and I'll probably change my mind but that's not happened yet.

I'm curious as to why you don't think it's already shown up in performances when it seemed clear to me that yesterday was a classic case of a team wandering onto the pitch with little or no motivation. No doubt my next comment will get an absolute tongue lashing from certain posters, but for me yesterday reminded me of some of the performances Chelsea put in for Villa Boas. Doing barely enough to get by.

BillyShears said:
Cobwebcat said:

Raw statistics aren't objective because they simply cannot take into account the nuances of football. Yaya Toure's passing statistics are far better than David Silva's - but that doesn't make Yaya a better passer of the ball. Dzeko's goals per minutes ratio is the best of all our forwards this season, doesn't make him our best forward. Statistics can be a pointer for efficiency and can help outline a situation, but to rely on stats whilst dismissing "what people reckon" as knee jerk reactions because they don't suit your argument is no different than someone ignoring stats completely because they don't suit that person's argument.

I'm curious as to why you don't think it's already shown up in performances when it seemed clear to me that yesterday was a classic case of a team wandering onto the pitch with little or no motivation. No doubt my next comment will get an absolute tongue lashing from certain posters, but for me yesterday reminded me of some of the performances Chelsea put in for Villa Boas. Doing barely enough to get by.

I do try to not soley rely on statistics and again I agree with you. I'll give you an example...Ferguson sold Stam not because of his book, as was reported, but because he had been given Opta stats to analyse. At this time football stats were not undersood as well as they are today. Ferguson saw that Stam was making less tackles and took that as a sign he was on the wane and sold him. Stam went on to perform well for many years abroad. Ferguson had missed that Stam had learned to position himself so well that he didn't need to tackle as much (as Maldini used to)

It's not just about the stats but how you interpret them. All the Premiership clubs have the same access to the stats but only Chelsea and City understand what they mean.

Again re your take on the Swansea game..completely agree with you. That's exactly what it looked like to me too. The reason it's not significant is that the slide hasn't happened long enough for it to be statistically significant. There is currently more probability that we will inprove than not.

Cobwebcat said:
Again re your take on the Swansea game..completely agree with you. That's exactly what it looked like to me too. The reason it's not significant is that the slide hasn't happened long enough for it to be statistically significant. There is currently more probability that we will inprove than not.

The Stam story is interesting, cheers for that. Re: the above - I often think that there's a segment of people on the forum who expect everyone to be completely dispassionate about what we see. The reason why there is so much negativity around is because regardless of circumstance, Wednesday wasn't good enough, and yesterday was unacceptable for 45 minutes, result aside, too. Watching players strolling around patently not giving a fuck collectively is fucking scary as a supporter because it points to a malaise rather than a one off. That's what bothers me so much. We're champions, there to be shot at, everyone wants an even bigger piece of us. It is the optimum environment to foster a togetherness and winning mentality to kick on from last season. I have so far not seen that and we're coming into November. I also feel, and again people will obviously disagree, that Mancini's perpetual hanging of players out to dry is making things worse.

Has anyone bothered to notice that only Chavs and Arse have conceded less goals than us in the prem this season?

Pam said:
Has anyone bothered to notice that only Chavs and Arse have conceded less goals than us in the prem this season?

Oh goody. So there's two better teams than us defensively even though we've been the best team defensively in the league for the last two seasons. This is certainly a very salient point which definitely means that any criticism of Mancini is just from snivelling coyotes.

Alternatively your post above, just as your one from last night, needs to be flushed twice.

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Sorry but the stam story is drivel, absolute nonsense

I'll just say the LINE about stam performing at a HIGH level is a very apt statement!!!!

You have your sources I have mine. We disagree.<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:39 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
Cobwebcat said:

The Stam story is interesting, cheers for that. Re: the above - I often think that there's a segment of people on the forum who expect everyone to be completely dispassionate about what we see. The reason why there is so much negativity around is because regardless of circumstance, Wednesday wasn't good enough, and yesterday was unacceptable for 45 minutes, result aside, too. Watching players strolling around patently not giving a fuck collectively is fucking scary as a supporter because it points to a malaise rather than a one off. That's what bothers me so much. We're champions, there to be shot at, everyone wants an even bigger piece of us. It is the optimum environment to foster a togetherness and winning mentality to kick on from last season. I have so far not seen that and we're coming into November. I also feel, and again people will obviously disagree, that Mancini's perpetual hanging of players out to dry is making things worse.

and yet WBA was by most accounts a good performance (I thought very good) so we are currently talking about 2 games unless we cherry pick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.