The Scottish Politics thread

Labour are still going for a vote of no confidence tomorrow. Tories say their job is done, in removing Yousaf. But they may yet back Labour (if they think they the motion will fail, probably).

Looks like the Greens won't back it.

Green MSP Gillian Mackay signalled the party would not vote for the motion, as she accused Sarwar of “political gameplaying”. She said: “Like the withdrawn Tory motion, the Labour one has clearly been overtaken by events. Pursuing it would achieve nothing, and would simply mean more parliamentary game-playing. Labour MSPs have spent the last few days saying the government needs to get back to running the country, so why do they want to waste the valuable time of the Scottish Parliament, staff and MSPs by carrying on with this charade when it has no chance of passing?” Mackay added: “We bear no personal animosity to the First Minister or the SNP, and, as Scottish Greens, are already getting back to business.”

Labour are like that school kid that tells others they can batter you, knowing fine well they'll never actually have to have the fight.

It’s a bit late and laughable to say someone is guilty of political game playing lol.

Politics is one big game of it for them all and this story has the Greens playing as Centre Forward for a few days ;-)

It is going to be Forbes or Swinney isn't it. Really nobody else that can even come close. The rest that could have potential are all at Westminster. There might be character and ability in a couple of the other lesser prominent ones but there really isn't much experience, or knowledge of them. As long as it isn't Angus Robertson I suppose.

It is going to be Forbes or Swinney isn't it. Really nobody else that can even come close. The rest that could have potential are all at Westminster. There might be character and ability in a couple of the other lesser prominent ones but there really isn't much experience, or knowledge of them. As long as it isn't Angus Robertson I suppose.
To be honest when Sturgeon stepped down I was at first a Forbes supporter, until she opened up on the strength of her religious beliefs. The question still remains for me, can she seperate her own private beliefs from her politics. If she could she would be my choice of the 2.

To be honest when Sturgeon stepped down I was at first a Forbes supporter, until she opened up on the strength of her religious beliefs. The question still remains for me, can she seperate her own private beliefs from her politics. If she could she would be my choice of the 2.

I don't see why not. It will come down to how much the media lock in on that and how she handles it, rather than her separating the two as such imo. The last time she let that out, they bit down hard and it was irrecoverable after that. It was stupid. And while I don't agree with her beliefs, it was also went a bit overboard at times. Maybe with some time gone, and one Yousaf-shaped hole inbetween, that won't be as much of an issue, and she will have learned not to be as naive, and how to manage it better.

One of the other potential candidates, Jenny Gilruth, is married to none other than Kezia Dugdale, for example. Can she separate her private life as well? I don't see why not.

The bigger question would be who is the better, in terms of direction and management of the current state of it all.

Swinney would be a hold the fort candidate, without doubt. Forbes would be a 'new hope' one with desire to make strides in a/any direction. But the timing and genearal situatuon could be quite unforgiving for her, maybe even brutal. A Salmond or Sturgeon type would have handled that and reveled in it. Not sure she can. Swinney probably can't either, but he has plenty of scar tissue to withstand it.

I don't particularly care what the party itself wants/needs. I am looking at more it from what I think the country needs. And at this point, I think it is more a Swinney type than a Forbes myself.

Either way would 100% without a shadow of a doubt take either of them as FM over Sarwar. Or any of the snp's 3rd 4th choices for that matter. Won't even entertain the idea of D.Ross running the country.

So for all the proclamations and implications that the SNP really have no real outstanding candidates any more, they are still, unfortunately and bizarrely, years ahead of any of their rival parties. That's the sad state of Politics just now.

Last edited:
Motion of no confidence failed. 70 vs 58. Labour, Tories, Lib-Dems and Alba (lol) voted for, SNP and Greens against. Looks like they kissed and made up.

Motion of no confidence failed. 70 vs 58. Labour, Tories, Lib-Dems and Alba (lol) voted for, SNP and Greens against. Looks like they kissed and made up.
Power, it’s all about power, forgetting that its should be about responsibility.

Scotland looks to have been fucked over, like the rest of us, but the government there have managed even worse. No wonder they voted themselves back in.

Can only get worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.