The Smiths & Morrissey thread

Serious answer: None.

That said, I have heard many of his songs on the radio over the years, and never heard anything with any redeeming musical quality whatsoever, none. So I am uninclined to voluntarily subject myself to anything more. I find his tone monotonous and droning, and often out of tune, specifically, flat. The chords are banal and the lyrics worse. I think he's absolutely fucking awful, and how anyone can like the utter dross he churns out is quite beyond me.

But hey ho - you like it, so again that's fine by me.
Disinclined

That said, I have heard many of his songs on the radio over the years, and never heard anything with any redeeming musical quality whatsoever, none. So I am uninclined to voluntarily subject myself to anything more. I find his tone monotonous and droning, and often out of tune, specifically, flat. The chords are banal and the lyrics worse. I think he's absolutely fucking awful, and how anyone can like the utter dross he churns out is quite beyond me.

No further questions M'Lud....

Actually I do have a further question. Please tell us who are your favourite bands / artists.

Are you talking specifically about his solo output or do you include The Smiths in that critique?

I'm not attacking, I'm just asking.

No further questions M'Lud....

Actually I do have a further question. Please tell us who are your favourite bands / artists.
I am not massively into music these days to be honest (although I play piano myself). But my tastes are really quite varied. Being quite old I like listening to old stuff from e.g. Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Phil Collins etc. Also more poppy old stuff - Talk Talk, Simply Red, Elton John, Madonna, Howard Jones, The Christians, INXS, Crowded House, Oasis, Michael Jackson, Keane. Female vocalists I like too - Nora Jones, Lisa Loeb, Stacey Kent, Sarah McClachlan, Eva Cassidy, Joni Mitchel, Carol King. Male vocals - George Michael had an amazing voice and wrote some good stuff. Ditto Michael Buble but he is a bit too much of a crooner really. James Morrison and Jamie Cullom both have great voices. Newton Fawkner ditto. I like some electro-pop such as Yelo, for example. I'm into jazz too - Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, Grover Washington, Ray Charles. And also quite a lot of classical too, when I am in the mood. Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony is a favourite, Saint-Sains Organ sympony, ditto. Beethoven's 6th. There's lots.

I think a common theme is that I like music and musicians who are technically excellent. As epitomised by Steely Dan & Donald Fagen perhaps.

Last edited:
I am not massively into music these days to be honest (although I play piano myself). But my tastes are really quite varied. Being quite old I like listening to old stuff from e.g. Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Phil Collins etc. Also more poppy old stuff - Talk Talk, Simply Red, Elton John, Madonna, Howard Jones, The Christians, INXS, Crowded House, Oasis, Michael Jackson, Keane. Female vocalists I like too - Nora Jones, Lisa Loeb, Stacey Kent, Sarah McClachlan, Eva Cassidy, Joni Mitchel, Carol King. Male vocals - George Michael had an amazing voice and wrote some good stuff. Ditto Michael Buble but he is a bit too much of a crooner really. James Morrison and Jamie Cullom both have great voices. Newton Fawkner ditto. I like some electro-pop such as Yelo, for example. I'm into jazz too - Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, Grover Washington, Ray Charles. And also quite a lot of classical too, when I am in the mood. Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony is a favourite, Saint-Sains Organ sympony, ditto. Beethoven's 6th. There's lots.

I think a common theme is that I like music and musicians who are technically excellent. As epitomised by Steely Dan & Donald Fagen perhaps.

Sorry could not resist.

I stopped reading after Supertramp, Dire Straits and Phil Collins (RIP)
No more questions M'Lud...

1615380634792.png

37 years ago today!
I was on the Football Special train to see City at Brighton. Viewing the NME gig guide on the way down, I noted The Smiths were playing Cov Poly - and the Special stopped at Cov to pick up the Leicester & Rugby supporters branch.... On the way back I hopped off the train and for the first of 5 times, I saw the greatest band ever.... City and The Smiths on the same day...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.