The Smiths & Morrissey thread

So a film about Morrissey set in the years before The Smiths formed was ruined because of a lack of Smiths songs?
Of course it was, which is why the filmmakers tried desperately for years to get permission. Watch Control for a good example of how to use a band's music, mixed with other music of the era, as the soundtrack.

Did the film not finish before the band had released anything? Unlike Control
Yes but that doesn't preclude it from using Smiths/Morrisey/Marr music as a soundtrack, for the theme tune etc. As an example, Control opens with a long sequence showing a young, flare wearing Ian Curtis walking through a housing estate in the mid 70s. But the music played isn't Bowie or Iggy, it's Joy Division.

Yes but that doesn't preclude it from using Smiths/Morrisey/Marr music as a soundtrack, for the theme tune etc. As an example, Control opens with a long sequence showing a young, flare wearing Ian Curtis walking through a housing estate in the mid 70s. But the music played isn't Bowie or Iggy, it's Joy Division.
But that film covers Curtis's life including (obviously) his stint in JD so would be a pretty poor film not to have the music included.
England is mine ends when Johnny knocks on Morrissey's door so i never for one minute expected The Boy With The Thorn In His Side to be in the film at any point, therefore my expectations of the film were not as high as yours

38 years ago at Manchester's Ritz the greatest band ever made their 1st live appearance.
Morrissey, vovals
Johnny Marr, guitar
,Mike Joyce, drums
Dale Hibbert, bass
James Maker, maracas

They performed 4 songs in supporting Blue Ronda A La Turk

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Suffer Little Children
Handsome Devil
I Want A Boy For My Birthday (cover of a song by The Cookies)

For Dale Hibbert, it was his only gig, he was replaced by Andy Rourke.
James Maker appeared at the 2nd gig in January 1983 at Manhattan Club on Spring Gardens and then the band was the 4 piece combo that in just 13 months time were on The Tube and TOTP's with This Charming Man.
And my life would never be the same again......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.