The Smiths & Morrissey thread

The Stone Roses were terrible in comparison to New Order.

The Roses debut is better than most albums, but The Smiths had far more great songs and albums compared to the Roses. Electronic had far more quality tunes in comparison yo the 2 that the Seahorses had and Marr's solo stuff is far better than the effort Squire made. Then there are all the other tunes Marr did with other people.
Squire may be able to pluck 6 strings better than Marr but there is no comparison between them when it comes to song writing. No one is screaming for a new John Squire album or a Roses one after the poor efforts they chucked out the other year. Where as Marr does pretty well on his own, there would be an audience for new Electronic stuff and a Smiths reunification would blitz the Roses one.
My new favourite poster

I Am The Resurrection, She Bangs The Drums, Fools Gold, This Is The One etc. These are better songs than what Johnny Marr wrote.

A reunion of The Smiths, which thankfully will never happen, wouldn't blitz The Stone Roses at all. Provide examples of what they were do to completely eclipse all those sold out shows? Morrissey has become an awful human being too.
So lets go along with those 4 songs being better than anything Marr wrote.
And now lets go beyond those 4 songs....
Marr wrote 72 tunes for The Smiths in a 5 year period. (the same time Squire struggled to write an albums worth 89 to 94) I can count the duff ones on 1 finger.
How many duff tunes were on 2nd coming alone!
Having seen The Smiths 5 times I selfishly have never wanted them to get back together (although of course would have gone) and pre Morrissey coming out with his For Britain stuff they would have sold out stadiums in the UK and large arenas in USA, Germany, France, Oz, Argentina and Chile.
The Stone Roses during all of their come back gigs only played Madison Square Garden, New York - no other gigs in the US. Not even LA.....

I Am The Resurrection, She Bangs The Drums, Fools Gold, This Is The One etc. These are better songs than what Johnny Marr wrote.

A reunion of The Smiths, which thankfully will never happen, wouldn't blitz The Stone Roses at all. Provide examples of what they were do to completely eclipse all those sold out shows? Morrissey has become an awful human being too.

All about opinions*. The first Stone Roses album was great, no argument but there are any number of Smiths songs that are equal to if not better than the four you mention. Spread across several albums.

No point hypothesising what a Smiths reunion would be like because you are right it isn't going to happen but if it had in 2012/13 or 2016 when the Stone Roses were touring I think you can be pretty sure it would have been just as big an event.

What Morrisey has become is irrelevant

* There are some people who think Ringo was the most talented Beatle, mainly his mum and gran...

The Stone Roses debut album is better than anything The Smiths did. The Queen Is Dead is also one of my favourite records.

Marr is little more than a session guitarist post-The Smiths. Electronic were terrible in comparison to New Order.
It is but the Smiths have a back catalogue that trumps the Roses for me in terms of consistency and length, it’s mostly lyrically superior imo but what I will say is that Reni and Mani would get into the Smiths, that’s it, Marr > Squire.

All about opinions*. The first Stone Roses album was great, no argument but there are any number of Smiths songs that are equal to if not better than the four you mention. Spread across several albums.

No point hypothesising what a Smiths reunion would be like because you are right it isn't going to happen but if it had in 2012/13 or 2016 when the Stone Roses were touring I think you can be pretty sure it would have been just as big an event.

What Morrisey has become is irrelevant

* There are some people who think Ringo was the most talented Beatle, mainly his mum and gran...

Why are you unable to name these songs by The Smiths? Neither the eponymous debut album nor Meat Is Murder do it for me. I loved The Queen Is Dead from start to finish yet Strangeways Here We Come was terrible.

I'd make love whilst listening to The Stone Roses and get over heartbreak listening to The Smiths. The former being a glorious entertainment of a band.

Why are you unable to name these songs by The Smiths? Neither the eponymous debut album nor Meat Is Murder do it for me. I loved The Queen Is Dead from start to finish yet Strangeways Here We Come was terrible.

I'd make love whilst listening to The Stone Roses and get over heartbreak listening to The Smiths. The former being a glorious entertainment of a band.

Because as I said there are “any number” but ifyou insist, “how soon is now”, “this charming man”, “there is a light”, “cemetery gates”, “rush and a push”, “panic”, “the boy with the thorn...”, how many do you want? These are all at least equal to the songs you mention, in my opinion.

As for making love to the Stone Roses, does that include the Second Coming?

Because as I said there are “any number” but ifyou insist, “how soon is now”, “this charming man”, “there is a light”, “cemetery gates”, “rush and a push”, “panic”, “the boy with the thorn...”, how many do you want? These are all at least equal to the songs you mention, in my opinion.

As for making love to the Stone Roses, does that include the Second Coming?
Let him come the first time, take a break and then go for the 2nd coming.....

Wanking over a band in a grubby bedsit whilst wearing a bucket hat is hardly a huge endorsement is it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.