The Squad Depth Myth

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Rammy Blue said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I don't think our quality reaches down lower than the first 14 or 15 players of this current squad make up.

The most obvious thing for me is that Pellegrini and City are trying to establish a style of play from the youngsters right through to the first team.

But the team is unrecognisable in general play when the manager does attempt to utilise and rotate.

The quality of our starting eleven is such that is just exposes above average or below average players.

Not their fault, a result of a poor spending policy from previous years and the evolution taking place.

It's incredible though that through all the squad investment we have made over the last 3 or 4 years we are still a good 6/7 players short from having a good enough squad.

I suppose it shows that buying sicknotes doesn't help.

I agree, but it's the ending of a five-year cycle and the starting of a new one.

I fear we are going to run out of steam and luck if we continue to rely on players who come in and can't pick up the slack.

Rodwell, Garcia, Sinclair, Jovetic - that's £55m right there, which is just scary.

I don't see what we lose trying to recruit this window? If nothing else, we get upgrades and they are bang on it for the start of next season.

Chelsea's first eleven is a couple of yards down on us but their deeper squad quality is far superior for me.

I agree about Chelsea, I'd say Arsenal is a similar situation as well.

With regards recruiting I suppose it depends how Txiki has been looking at things. Is he trying to find upgrades on first team players or has he been doing the correct scouting on squad fillers? We definitely need a couple of players, maybe we'll use the loan system to flesh out the squad. Be nice if we could shift a couple of the deadwood as well.

The issue for me isn't recruitment, it's the opposite. IMHO I'd guess there'd be agreement on who we could happily let go to allow new players to be brought in, even in Jan. But, is there genuinely any demand for any of our surplus players out there at a reasonable price?
As examples, I read about Arsenal having a long standing interest in Richards or Dzeko, but knowing the kind of players Wenger has nurtured over the years, I'd be amazed if he was prepared to pay good money for Micah.

But, yes, agree it is a handy media myth we have by far best and deepest squad

We don't have the deepest squad and, as I posted earlier, we need to evolve the squad to one better suited to a play the way we want but I think some on here are still underselling the quality of the squad. I firmly believe that not only do we have the best first 11 in the league, we also have the best bench, when everyone is fit. After our best 18 or 20 players, things get thin pretty quickly.

At the moment, we are missing nearly half a team of injured players. Also, how many times this season has Manny been able to field his best 11?

There's been much bemoaning of our resources after yesterday but I think most of those that took the field yesterday simply underperformed. There should have been more than enough quality out there to win. The team were not helped by the choice of full backs and strikers, both of which were not the ideal mix but were the product of injuries and the need to rotate. If Jovetic and Richards had been fit, the balance would have been far better.

We need to evolve the squad but we also need some more product coming through from the Academy to help when too many injuries strike.

Rammy Blue said:
I agree about Chelsea, I'd say Arsenal is a similar situation as well.

With regards recruiting I suppose it depends how Txiki has been looking at things. Is he trying to find upgrades on first team players or has he been doing the correct scouting on squad fillers? We definitely need a couple of players, maybe we'll use the loan system to flesh out the squad. Be nice if we could shift a couple of the deadwood as well.

I think the real problem is that our best XI is almost untouchable. This means when we're out trying to sign players a lot of them will know they aren't going to be in that best XI.

Simply put, we are one Fernh/ Yaya/Zaba injury away from disaster.
The covers we have for those three are B grade strings.
Sure, we have descent overall squad covers, but we lack quality.
Once we have sorted this, we would honestly say that we have the best bench in the league.

I've said for the last three years, when it has kept on being said by the media and fans how we have this great squad, that we don't have a particularly good squad at all for a supposed top of a league/Champions Lg team.

Past our core running through the middle: Hart Kompany Fernandinho Yaya Silva Kun (and even Hart and Yaya as they have shown to have poor aspects of their game recently) everyone else in our squad is totally replaceable.

Put a few excellent players to that core of world class like Nastasić Zabaleta Nasri Navas Negredo and we've got a really good starting team. Past that and we are weak and that's what a squad is, not how good your starting XI is but how good the players past your starting XI are.

I think we've got the third or fourth best starting XI in the world, vying with Juve for that spot IMO. But how often do we or any team have their strongest XI available? Squad wise I don't rate us that highly at all.

Having good Academy products vying for places in our team is something really lacking too. I think Academy players are an important part of all squads. The three teams I rate higher than us Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern München have a number of youth products in their squads (that's only really happened this season at Madrid with Ancelotti coming in), whereas we don't have anyone.

KippaxCitizen said:
I've said for the last three years, when it has kept on being said by the media and fans how we have this great squad, that we don't have a particularly good squad at all for a supposed top of a league/Champions Lg team.

In world football remove Barca, Madrid, and Bayern. Name 3 teams with better squads than us.

BillyShears said:
KippaxCitizen said:

In world football remove Barca, Madrid, and Bayern. Name 3 teams with better squads than us.
Would Lescott, García, Boyata get game time at Juve, Atléti, Dortmund, Napoli, Chelsea, Arsenal?

KippaxCitizen said:
BillyShears said:
KippaxCitizen said:

Would Lescott, García, Boyata get game time at Juve, Atléti, Dortmund, Napoli, Chelsea, Arsenal?

That's not what I asked you big man. If City don't have a "particularly good squad at all for a supposed league/Champions Lg team" - other than the teams I mentioned who does ?

BillyShears said:
KippaxCitizen said:
BillyShears said:

That's not what I asked you big man. If City don't have a "particularly good squad at all for a supposed league/Champions Lg team" - other than the teams I mentioned who does ?
I am in full agreement with you on this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.