The Squad planning thread

I think a big issue for us is that when you carry a small squad (as we do), you can't afford any passengers. We are simply going to have to get a tune out of McAtee and Nunes at some point. You can't afford to make bad signings with a small squad. The case in point is our Rodri backup currently being on loan at Ipswich.

I do feel, however, that City are holding money back for a big splurge at some point. My own feeling is that summer 2025 will be our biggest ever spend. This time next year, the following players will be aged 30 and above:

Ederson
Ortega
Carson
Walker
Stones
Akanji
Ake
Bernardo
De Bruyne
Kovacic
Gundogan
Grealish

You can perhaps discard the goalkeepers because it is a unique position, but there's nine outfield players in that list. My own feeling is that Walker, De Bruyne and Gundogan will move on, as well as a few others who haven't yet hit the 30 mark.

Who comes in? Well, we know Echeverri is on the horizon. Perrone will be back from his loan. Are we really in line for Musiala? Time will tell.

Why don’t we just go shit or bust and bring back Perrier and see if it works in centre mid because kobbie Mainoo was given the chance at Utd and he hasn’t looked back .

I think a big issue for us is that when you carry a small squad (as we do), you can't afford any passengers. We are simply going to have to get a tune out of McAtee and Nunes at some point. You can't afford to make bad signings with a small squad. The case in point is our Rodri backup currently being on loan at Ipswich.

I do feel, however, that City are holding money back for a big splurge at some point. My own feeling is that summer 2025 will be our biggest ever spend. This time next year, the following players will be aged 30 and above:

Ederson
Ortega
Carson
Walker
Stones
Akanji
Ake
Bernardo
De Bruyne
Kovacic
Gundogan
Grealish

You can perhaps discard the goalkeepers because it is a unique position, but there's nine outfield players in that list. My own feeling is that Walker, De Bruyne and Gundogan will move on, as well as a few others who haven't yet hit the 30 mark.

Who comes in? Well, we know Echeverri is on the horizon. Perrone will be back from his loan. Are we really in line for Musiala? Time will tell.
big majority of them will have no problem playing another 2-3 years though, only 2/3 need to be seriously looked at being replaced/moved on,

I agree but wonder if the Club were inhibited waving the cheque book because of the 115 witchhunt and the optics of spending big. I would have said fuck them and buy top quality to stay top.
It may not be that straight forward.
(Rodri has been discussed to death, no-one the same and any player even close wasn't joining to sit on the bench in the biggest games.)
I wonder how many players we talked to who said "yeah I'm interested but I want a ridiculous release clause in the event you're relegated to league x or below" now the case has actually started.
Alternatively - Pep's leaving at the end of the season (hope not), and we're leaving money spare for a manager who might want different players. God forbid we end up in Chelseas situation where the manager is actively stating "he's not a player I want playing winger, cb, fb etc..."
We'll never know as it's not how we do business.
Our summer looks far worse due to early injuries - but Pep has always suggested he doesn't want huge squads as he can't guarantee keeping everyone happy (and look at what ended up happening with Cancelo).
As supporters we've witnessed far worse imho

Last edited:
It may not be that straight forward.
(Rodri has been discussed to death, no-one the same and any player even close wasn't joining to sit on the bench in the biggest games.)
I wonder how many players we talked to who said "yeah I'm interested but I want a ridiculous release clause in the event you're relegated to league x or below" now the case has actually started.
Alternatively - Pep's leaving at the end of the season (hope not), and we're leaving money spare for a manager who might want different players. God forbid we end up in Chelseas situation where the manager is actively stating he's not a player I want playing winger, cb, fb etc...
We'll never know as it's not how we do business.
Our summer looks far worse due to early injuries - but Pep has always suggested he doesn't want huge squads as he can't guarantee keeping everyone happy (and look at what ended up happening with Cancelo).
As supporters we've witnessed far worse imho
I seem to recall our aim was to have 2 good players for each position. It feels like the aspiration of winning another European Cup this year has dropped off the radar and if the League is achievable then that will be a bonus.
I agree the dynamic of the 115 stitch up together with the uncertainty of Peps future and replacement is impacting on this campaign.

I think people are getting a bit giddy, getting to 30 isn’t an end of career thing for most players, for sure Kev, Kyle and Gundo might be close to the end of their PL careers, but Ake, Akanji, Stones still have maybe three more seasons after this one, maybe more. i agree Bernardo will probably go at the end of this or the next season, but don’t lose sight of the fact we have some solid and promising young players. Obviously we need to spend next summer, but we have the means to do that, sanctions aside.

I seem to recall our aim was to have 2 good players for each position. It feels like the aspiration of winning another European Cup this year has dropped off the radar and if the League is achievable then that will be a bonus.
I agree the dynamic of the 115 stitch up together with the uncertainty of Peps future and replacement is impacting on this campaign.

I think they have the money and are willing to spend it, but not failing FFP/ PSR was already making us lower from 22 players to about 18.

Then 115 came along and for whatever reason it spooked our targeted players.. and the recruitment has slowed.

I mean just think about it.. Kane wanted to join.. Haaland joined and then after 115 we've gotten savinho who we already had sorta.. kovacic and nunes.

Even if we beat the charges the 2 year recruitment gap has damaged us whether we like it or not.. and Pep doesn't think he wants to leave but he's probably keeping options open till it's settled.

That 115 case is basically an elephant sitting on the club's backside!

I think they have the money and are willing to spend it, but not failing FFP/ PSR was already making us lower from 22 players to about 18.

Then 115 came along and for whatever reason it spooked our targeted players.. and the recruitment has slowed.

I mean just think about it.. Kane wanted to join.. Haaland joined and then after 115 we've gotten savinho who we already had sorta.. kovacic and nunes.

Even if we beat the charges the 2 year recruitment gap has damaged us whether we like it or not.. and Pep doesn't think he wants to leave but he's probably keeping options open till it's settled.

Which sums up the uncosted collateral damage the Club is suffering at the hands of our noxious accusers. I'd love it if we cleaned out the whole bunch of them but we'll probably settle for sending them a slightly miffed memo.

missing Doku and Gvardiol, we still spent 225m last summer.

agree on that first part, just felt they had the right player at the right price so they didn't. Gonna be interesting to see how/where they go next couple of windows.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.