The state of the gardens - another police incident

003be742.jpg

image.jpg

Used to be beautiful
Wow, that took both myself and the wife back, any idea what year roughly that is? Early 70's I would guess.

I remember a little shopping arcade in ancoats - think it had a Toys R Us or some such, and it was surrounded by waste ground. On the left as you were coming out of town. Even in my teens I remember thinking ‘who the fuck wants to shop there?’

Then after I moved south I didn’t go back through that part of town until I started going to Eastlands. The transformation is incredible.

And hats off to whoever came up with ‘New Islington.’ Gotta love that one.

New islington and holt town were long standing names of the areas around there since late 1700s but went out of use in the 1970s regenrations

You wouldn’t walk off market street back in the day. In the 80s on the odd occasion we went to town id look down those dark passage ways as we passed by with a sick feeling in my stomach. We would go to a little toy shop at xmas called toy and hobby which I think was down the side of primark ? I loved the shop but you’d see sex workers hanging around and my mum should hold on tight to me like I was a bargain in the sales lol

Toy and hobby was on spring gardens, you had that, then the post office and down the side gaylords indian restaraunt.

Used to cut down to head to corbiers and the conservatory for a few beers

Toy and hobby was on spring gardens, you had that, then the post office and down the side gaylords indian restaraunt.

Used to cut down to head to corbiers and the conservatory for a few beers
I knew it was down one of the sides there. I was only about 6 I think and then it closed down a year or so after

he is indeed. They also help to locate and check the welfare on any people who haven’t been seen for a few days and inform them if family are trying to locate them.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/178027059359116/?ref=share

I urge people to like the page and have a scan through exactly what they do. Perhaps it will thaw a few hearts

not just homeless but help struggling families with
In general town, ancoats and the arndale were rough and manky in the 80s, lots of no go zones . The regeneration has been

I agree with you but as for the gardens very colourful in summer and well maintained at the time..

Wow, that took both myself and the wife back, any idea what year roughly that is? Early 70's I would guess.

Remember kissing a very fit girl on the grassy bit there in my youth. It was a more innocent time back then.

A couple of weeks later I fingered her on the field near Medlock sports centre.
Think I made a bit of a hash of it due to inexperience but still.... Great days....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.