The Stone Roses

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
Statement released on Sky News confirming that the band will go on to do the tour..... Won't be surprised if they spilt up after though or get a new drummer like last time, saying that does anyone know the reason why Reni fucked off back in 94'?

Legend has it that he saw one of those street drummers in New York who are absolutely amazing and said 'I will never be as good as that' and walked out on the Roses. Kept his season ticket though.

Davs 19 said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Fuck me.

Squire - Technically fucking epic.
Reni - Technically fucking epic.
Mani - Technically fucking epic.

It's only Brown's voice that is a bit below par, and even then it only matters if you're southern, bent or a twat.

The Roses were fucking blinding musicians.

If that's your opinion that's fair enough. I've watched them countless times and they're fucking awesome. But 'great musicians ' ? Not for me

Reni is a great musician, no doubt about that at all.

peoffrey said:
ultimateharold said:
Someone name the Roses song when Reni really shines out, or your favourite bit.

I'll have a re listen.

Reni is evidently a top notch drummer with tracks like Elephant Stone showcasing this.
To be fair, there's nothing on Elephant Stone that any other competent drummer couldn't do.

He was incredibly inventive and complements the Roses style perfectly; in fact his drumming was largely responsible for shaping that style. But now that his tracks have been laid down for all eternity, there really is nothing there that any other drummer couldn't replicate.

So, yeah, he's technically a decent drummer but some people elevate his status way too much.

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot said:
Statement released on Sky News confirming that the band will go on to do the tour..... Won't be surprised if they spilt up after though or get a new drummer like last time, saying that does anyone know the reason why Reni fucked off back in 94'?

Legend has it that he saw one of those street drummers in New York who are absolutely amazing and said 'I will never be as good as that' and walked out on the Roses. Kept his season ticket though.

I've heard that, but I'm sure it may have been due to drugs and his irritance at Squire's musical direction; Squire started using drum machines for the Second Coming if I'm not mistaken.

Dubai Blue said:
peoffrey said:
ultimateharold said:
Someone name the Roses song when Reni really shines out, or your favourite bit.

I'll have a re listen.

Reni is evidently a top notch drummer with tracks like Elephant Stone showcasing this.
To be fair, there's nothing on Elephant Stone that any other competent drummer couldn't do.

He was incredibly inventive and complements the Roses style perfectly; in fact his drumming was largely responsible for shaping that style. But now that his tracks have been laid down for all eternity, there really is nothing there that any other drummer couldn't replicate.

So, yeah, he's technically a decent drummer but some people elevate his status way too much.

So he is technically a decent drummer and incredibly inventive? What more does a musician have to do to deserve an elevated status? Yes many drummers may be able to replicate what he does but like any art forms the real genius comes in the creativity. I have played the drums (pretty badly to be fair) for over 25 years and in terms of creativity, I'd say he's right up there. He is/was incredibly individual imo and that is why he he is rated so highly.
Watch this bloke from about 3.15 onwards. It shows what a fantastic technical piece of drumming I am the Resurrection is (IMO). This lad is excellent and can play it but crucially Reni was the one who created it. Sadly I couldn't even begin to play stuff like that, never mind think of it in the first place.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfeGV37C_tA[/youtube]

I also feel the need to post this. I could watch Reni on this all day. Effortless.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5COfTIZgTw&feature=related[/youtube]

TheMightyQuinn said:
Fuck me.

Squire - Technically fucking epic.
Reni - Technically fucking epic.
Mani - Technically fucking epic.

It's only Brown's voice that is a bit below par, and even then it only matters if you're southern, bent or a twat.

The Roses were fucking blinding musicians.

spot on TMQ

all great great musicians especially John Squire

my mate who's in a band says a lot of the Roses guitar stuff is very very difficult to play

Lancet Fluke said:
Dubai Blue said:
peoffrey said:

So he is technically a decent drummer and incredibly inventive? What more does a musician have to do to deserve an elevated status? Yes many drummers may be able to replicate what he does but like any art forms the real genius comes in the creativity. I have played the drums (pretty badly to be fair) for over 25 years and in terms of creativity, I'd say he's right up there. He is/was incredibly individual imo and that is why he he is rated so highly.
Watch this bloke from about 3.15 onwards. It shows what a fantastic technical piece of drumming I am the Resurrection is (IMO). This lad is excellent and can play it but crucially Reni was the one who created it. Sadly I couldn't even begin to play stuff like that, never mind think of it in the first place.
Can't argue with any of that as that's basically the point I was trying to make; I just didn't do it very well!

Dubai Blue said:
Lancet Fluke said:
Dubai Blue said:

Can't argue with any of that as that's basically the point I was trying to make; I just didn't do it very well!

I thought you did it very well, the stuff you said about him shaping their style is spot on. There aren't many bands who have their style dictated by the drummer, they were one of the few. I was just really reacting to your comment about people elevating his status.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.